PDA

View Full Version : Need new bowl gouge advice..

Jason Solodow
08-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Has anyone used the Hamlet ASP tools? If so, what do you think of them? Are they worth the extra cost? If so, should I get the 2030 or the 2060? I've got two Sorby bowl gouges right now, and i would like to add another one or two to my collection. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Also, if you've seen them or used them, please sound off on the Oneway Mastercut gouges.

Jim Becker
08-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Hamlet makes good tools, and not just under their own name as they OEM, too. I currently have one tool in my rack that is "similar" to the ASP tools and do enjoy the noticably longer time between grindings. (Which is still very frequently as I prefer a really sharp edge)

I don't own, but have used the OneWay Mastercut Gouge. Also a fine tool.

Charles Bjorgen
08-27-2005, 5:27 PM
I own three of the ASP 2060 tools made by Hamlet, a 3/8 spindle gouge, a 3/8 bowl gouge and a 1/2 bowl gouge. The 3/8 spindle and 1/2 bowl gouges are the most used in my arsenal. A major marketing pitch is that the edge of ASP 2060 steel does not need sharpening as often as standard HSS tools. That may be so but I have no specific empirical knowledge of this although that was probably my thinking at the time I bought them. I make this point only to suggest that as I've gained turning experience, I've made my turning setup such that taking a tool to the grinder is no big deal and takes a matter of a minute or less to freshen an edge.

I also have a couple other Hamlet tools in HSS and they are fine. I believe Hamlet handles tend to be a bit longer than some other brands. Hamlet also makes the Packard Woodworks branded tools for Packard and I have one of those. No experience with the Mastercut line by Oneway.

Bruce Smith
08-27-2005, 9:05 PM
I have both ASP 2030 and ASP 2060 chisels and gouges and very satisfied with them. I do think the 2060 holds its edge a little longer. All future tooling will no doubt be 2060 as I do think they are worth the extra dollars. The last gouge I purchased was a 1/2" ASP2060 bowl gouge and I think it is the greatest thing sence sliced bread, sure as heck suits me. My other tooling is Crown and some old HSS stuff that I inherited from my father and grandfather. They are stamped Sheffield Steel Driver, I'm not sure but think they were manufactured for Walker Turner.

Bruce in Saint John, N.B.