PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving coins

Roy Sanders
10-05-2015, 8:55 PM
Has anyone ever attempted to laser cut coin die to make challenge coins? I understand there is a clay and a method, i have run an hour or two in search. I must be writing the syntax wrong or something, all i get are advertisement

I wish to attempt it for distraction or possible hobby

David Somers
10-05-2015, 9:31 PM
Roy,

I have never tried this so I am guessing.
I know they do use a clay to form the challenge coins most of the time depending on whether they are cast or made from a non metal.
But, you should be able to laser into acrylic to create the pattern, stamp it into the clay, and then allow the clay to harden and send to your "foundry?"

Basically the same process for cutting the acrylic if you were making cookie stamps out of acrylic using the laser. Not to be confused with laser cutting and engraving the actual cooky, or worse yet, running the cookies through your CNC? (he he)

Dave

Kev Williams
10-06-2015, 1:22 AM
i have run an hour or two in search. I must be writing the syntax wrong or something, all i get are advertisement
Welcome to the new-age internet. Time was, you could actually find INFO by searching. Now, all you get is either the nearest forum that matches the search, or advertisements.

My favorite: "Shop For How Fast Are Icebergs Melting Around The Polar Ice Cap on EBAY!"

Sorry, like the internet, I'm totally useless in helping you out I'm afraid!
;)

Mike Null
10-06-2015, 7:37 AM
Roy

The process most often used is called spin casting. I have made laser engraved and cut acrylic molds for this process using .25" acrylic and they were quite satisfactory.

A more expensive option is to use die struck coins but most challenge coins I've seen were spin cast products.

Roy Sanders
10-06-2015, 9:45 AM
Hi Mike

Excellent! thanks for the best phrase to use.

I will let you know how it works

Roy