PDA

View Full Version : Trimming a Piece of Drywall

George Bokros
10-05-2015, 6:42 PM
I need to trim 1 1/4" off two sides of the drywall panel that is the door to the attic area. I did not like how it was done when the house was built so I trimmed out the opening which made the opening 1 1/4" smaller (5/8" on each of the four sides). I thought I would just put in a new piece of 1/2" drywall which I had but came to the idealization the ceiling is 5/8 drywall. I know for a fact the walls are all 1/2" except the garage wall that is shared with the house which I believe has to be 5/8 to meet fire code.

I would like to use the 5/8 that was the door but am not certain how to trim 1 1/4 off two sides. The score and snap method for small trims like this has never worked for me.

Suggestions??

Thanks

Scott Shepherd
10-05-2015, 6:50 PM
Sheet rock saw. They are cheap and they'll do what you want.

George Bokros
10-05-2015, 7:00 PM
I have one of those but the edge produced is kind of ragged not crisp and clean. I am thinking about using a oscillating tool.

Scott Shepherd
10-05-2015, 7:13 PM
Got a rotozip? That work well too.

Bill McNiel
10-05-2015, 7:28 PM
Use your utility knife. After the initial score cut make a few additional freehand cuts going deeper each time, should only take 2 to 3 additional passes. Make sure to remove the gyp buildup from the blade after each pass.

Jay Aubuchon
10-05-2015, 8:54 PM
Use your utility knife. After the initial score cut make a few additional freehand cuts going deeper each time, should only take 2 to 3 additional passes. Make sure to remove the gyp buildup from the blade after each pass.

+1 on this method

Rich Engelhardt
10-05-2015, 9:24 PM
+2 - works like a champ.

Just make sure you use a good straight edge, make light passes (don't bear down hard on the knife), keep the knife as close to 90* as you can & use a new sharp blade.

4 or 5 passes and you should be good to go.

If you need some pieces I have a ton of cutoffs you're welcome to practice on. It's 1/2", but, it will work fine for practice.

Dave Zellers
10-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Just score both sides, it will pop right off.

But an oscillating tool will give you a cleaner edge.

Rick Potter
10-06-2015, 1:56 AM
Track Saw. :D

Allan Speers
10-06-2015, 4:44 AM
I have one of those but the edge produced is kind of ragged not crisp and clean. I am thinking about using a oscillating tool.

Yes, an oscillating tool with a "half moon" shaped diamond blade work really well. - As long as you can lay down a guide 2X4. I use the Bosch OSC312DG. Love it.

I wouldn't use a tracksaw, because the saw itself is not meant to be exposed to that kind of dust. It might damage the motor or bearings.

Jerome Stanek
10-06-2015, 7:05 AM
I have a drywall stripper tool that I have used all the time to take off small amounts of drywall

Matt Day
10-06-2015, 7:20 AM
I wouldn't use a tracksaw, because the saw itself is not meant to be exposed to that kind of dust. It might damage the motor or bearings.

Ya think Allan? The smiley face usually means it was a joke. 😉

A utility blade would be my suggestion like above. An oscillating tool is going to generate a lot of dust by comparison and will take longer. It's drywall, so the cut doesn't have to be perfect. How are the edges finished? Do they slip into a track or something?

George Bokros
10-06-2015, 7:34 AM
. How are the edges finished? Do they slip into a track or something?

It just sits on a piece of door stop nailed around the edge of the opening.

Robert Engel
10-06-2015, 8:11 AM
Just score both sides 2 or 3 times and it will snap right off.
Any kind of rough rasp will smooth the edges.
Use a new blade and it will work fine.

My house has one made of plywood you might want to consider that.

Good luck.

George Bokros
10-06-2015, 8:21 AM
My house has one made of plywood you might want to consider that.

Good luck.

I could use plywood or the 1/2 drywall I have a spare piece of but am wondering why they used 5/8 for the existing panel. I was thinking it was perhaps for fire code?

Prashun Patel
10-06-2015, 9:18 AM
+n on the utility knife.

Also, if you have any ragged edges, you can always use a (gasp alert) beater 4-1 rasp/file to smooth out the edges of the paper and rock.

Robert Engel
10-06-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm sure its code. Why else would anyone want to wrestle 5/8 on a ceiling? ;)

I think 5/8 is fire code I've seen it used between garage and house.
Never seen is used on ceilings in my area.
I've also seen it used for soundproofing.

George Bokros
10-06-2015, 11:49 AM
I believe 5/8 is used on ceilings when the trusses are on 24" centers to prevent sag. My trusses are on 24" centers.

Malcolm McLeod
10-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Other areas may be different, but here at least UBC (code) calls for 5/8" gypsum between any living areas and attached garage (due to higher fire risk in the garage). If there was no living area above the garage, you could previously use 1/2" on ceiling or non-adjoining walls. The adjoining wall(s) was(were) often covered with double layer of 1/2" (to save ordering 2 different types of drywall).

Now it is uniform 5/8" on all garage surfaces (plus fire rated door to a living area). Joist spacing makes no difference.

George, this may be a non-issue, but consider how any potential (non-code?) replacement will be viewed by home inspector if you have re-sale plans. A piece of drywall might not be a deal-breaker, but it would be a PITA.

Rick Potter
10-06-2015, 12:38 PM
My entire house is 5/8" It is a tract house, with no code or construction reason to have it. One of these days I am going to ask neighbors who have worked on their house if theirs is the same. I would not be surprised if 5/8 was
sent to the site by mistake, and they used it.

I suppose it could have been a selling feature.......quiet rooms, more strength, etc. It has been a pain replacing doors inside. We ordered pre-hung doors for 5/8 drywall, but they all came with jambs that had to be made wider anyway, and we had to set them to one side flush and add to the jambs on the other. We have continued using it in the remodel and additions, including the shop.

Malcolm McLeod
10-06-2015, 12:47 PM
My entire house is 5/8" ...

But you're in CA. Land of rock n' roll. And I mean 'land', not music. Could it be earthquake zone code?? 5/8" will give slightly better racking resistance to walls.

Me? I like my TX dirt to stay where I put it.:cool:

Chris Padilla
10-06-2015, 2:00 PM
I dunno...1/2" on my walls and 5/8" on my ceilings here in rockin' Bay Area. :)

Malcolm McLeod
10-06-2015, 2:56 PM
All this for trimming a piece of drywall? ...screws could result in explosion? Mud & tape could actually melt the internet.:)

Matt Day
10-06-2015, 3:03 PM
1/2" drywall is not rated for fire, each sheet of 5/8" gives a 30 minute rating, assuming the assembly is installed properly.

Prashun Patel
10-06-2015, 3:10 PM
I just gotta say:

"Trimming a Piece of Drywall" got 30 responses (well, 31 now) and 500 views.

What
is
the
world
coming
to??!?!?!?!

Bill McNiel
10-06-2015, 9:27 PM
5/8" GWB is used for 24" C/C spans and 1 hour fire separations. 1/2" for 16" C/C spans.

Use a Surfoam plane for cleaning up GWB edges. There is a one handed version about the size of a block plane. Handy, cheap tool to have around.