PDA

View Full Version : Question on building Louver Closet Doors

Johnnyy Johnson
10-05-2015, 11:36 AM
My wife hates the louver doors on our closet because of the dust that gets on the louvers. I can build some doors with raised panels. (we dont like the fake solid panel doors from the big box stores) My concern is will they be to heavy for the type hardware commonly used to hang the doors. I would use 3/4 rails and stiles and 5/8 panels.The overall width is 5 feet and 6 foot 7 high. Four panels over all.

Thanks
Johnny

Jamie Buxton
10-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Be specific about how you plan to hang your doors. Are you going to make two doors, with hinges at the jambs? Or are you using rolling doors hanging from the header? Or are you making four doors, with the inner ones hinged to the outer ones, and those are hinged to the jambs?

Johnnyy Johnson
10-05-2015, 5:55 PM
I am replacing the standard cheap doors that swing out. Like a cheap set of louver doors in in front of a washing machine in an apt. I just dont know if the standard hardware will support the solid panels like the light weight louvers hardware does. It is not like two solid doors on hinges. It is a replacement for light louver panels with solid panels.

Jamie Buxton
10-05-2015, 6:16 PM
I am replacing the standard cheap doors that swing out. Like a cheap set of louver doors in in front of a washing machine in an apt. I just dont know if the standard hardware will support the solid panels like the light weight louvers hardware does. It is not like two solid doors on hinges. It is a replacement for light louver panels with solid panels.

There is a common sort of closet doors that is bifold. That is, there are really four doors. The outside two doors are hinged to the jamb. The inside two doors are hinged to the outside two doors. The inside edge of the two middle doors also hangs from a track fastened to the header. Is that what you're talking about?

Like this -- http://www.amazon.com/Bi-fold-Door-Louver-Plantation-1x36x80/dp/B00AQ0AI1K

Jerry Miner
10-06-2015, 2:11 AM
I think Jamie is asking you to clarify what you mean by "the standard hardware." Hinges? pivots? Can you post a pic?

I think a 2'-6" x 6'-7" door is too big for 3/4 rails and stiles. It is unlikely to stay flat. You'd be better off, IMHO, to build full-sized (1 3/8") stiles and rails, or consider bi-fold doors at 1'-3" each. (Even at 1'-3", I'd use at least a 1" stile/rail thickness)

Johnnyy Johnson
10-06-2015, 9:44 AM
Yes Jerry, like Jamie's link is a pic of what I am thinking about doing. The hardware would be light weight like in the pic. That is what has me worried. I have glued up 4 doors for a bathroom cab that should give me an idea of what one of the four panels would weigh. (holding all doors in my had to guess weight.) They will come out of the clamps this morning. I think the 3/4 R&S would stay flat as other raised panels I have built in the house are stable with the humidity in the house. But I see your point. I think heavy hinges on the door Jams and a good track up top may work.

Has anyone else on this site tried this build. I Like the panel layout of the fake light weight big box doors but not the material they are made of.

Thanks
Johnny

Jamie Buxton
10-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Johnson Hardware makes really solid hardware for applications like your, and it isn't much more expensive than the cheap stuff at the big boxes. http://www.johnsonhardware.com/
Look in the section for bifold doors.