PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck: Do you use it?

Gary Baler
10-05-2015, 7:55 AM
I've been thinking about getting a vacuum chuck. If you have one: I'm curious how much you use it ... or is it just something you've bought and it is too big a hassle to use it regularly. I turn several hundred bowls a year and it looks like it would be a blessing ... but, like fishing lures that catch fishermen instead of fish, I don't want to get caught up in spending money for something I won't use. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Tim Boger
10-05-2015, 7:57 AM
I don't use mine a lot but when I do it's because nothing else will work.

Hilel Salomon
10-05-2015, 8:04 AM
I use mine both here and in VA on a regular basis. I have other devices, but find that vacuums tend to be more reliable.

David Gilbert
10-05-2015, 8:07 AM
I love my vacuum chuck and wouldn't (couldn't) make a bowl without it. I use it to turn off the bottom, sand, and finish my bowls. In some situations they make great jam chucks too. I even find it useful for some of my spindle turnings projects. I don't own a set of Cole jaws and haven't missed them until recently. I had an end-grain bowl whose bottom had bulged out so I needed to cut a hole and put in a plug and then re-turn that so I borrowed a set. The Cole jaws were much more awkward than my vacuum chuck and I moved back to the vacuum as soon as I could. I have a variety of different sized chucks and love them.

Get a vacuum system, you will never regret it.

Cheers,
David

Thom Sturgill
10-05-2015, 8:08 AM
I use mine pretty much any time I turn a bowl or hollow form. It is mounted on a board that hangs by a post at the headstock and I just have to pick up and insert the adapter into the handle. I use one of JT Turnings Tools' handwheel/adapters on my Jet 1642 and the rest is shop made. It is no more trouble to set up than any other chuck, and generally less than a jamb chuck.

Brian McInturff
10-05-2015, 9:06 AM
I too use mine all the time. More convenient to me than a jamb chuck.

Peter Fabricius
10-05-2015, 9:25 AM
I love my Vacuum Chucks as well!!!
I would not want to be without it. I use a vac chuck on all bowls, especially NE bowls. The four different size chucks are fantastic. 3", 2.5", 1.5" and a PVC 5"? Not positive on the size right now.
I spoke to a Production Turner yesterday at a Woodshow and he makes hundreds of cored bowls each year and he uses his vac chuck on all of them.

We could have a more in depth discussion here on vac systems if there is an interest.
The Woodworking Friends Forum is having one at the current time.
Peter F.

Edward Weingarden
10-05-2015, 10:32 AM
I don't use mine all the time but when I do, I'm always happy it's there. It takes less than 5 minutes to connect to my Jet 1642. It's not difficult to make the setup and thereby save some $.

Peter Lamb
10-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Life without mine would be very different.
I often use it as the primary holding source
even roughing.

terry mccammon
10-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Mods, if this is out of line please remove/replace or whatever seems right.

Let me put in a plug for the "frugal chuck" operation. No financial connection on my part, but the owner is a good friend. First class setup at significant savings.

Peter Fabricius
10-05-2015, 1:24 PM
Terry,
I appreciate that you like your Frugal system, but there are some severe limitations with the way the vac chuck is designed and made...
Like I said in my first post we could delve deeper if anyone wants?
Peter F.

hu lowery
10-05-2015, 1:48 PM
Terry,
I appreciate that you like your Frugal system, but there are some severe limitations with the way the vac chuck is designed and made...
Like I said in my first post we could delve deeper if anyone wants?
Peter F.

I haven't dealt with Frugal and don't know the owner. However, I will say the name seems accurate! I'm putting together a vacuum chuck as we speak so I can't say how often I will use it, I think a lot but we always think that when we are shelling out the dollars. Anyway, I had some difficulty contacting Frugal, now appears to be my fault, or my computer's, since I can always blame the machine!

Buying a used vacuum pump which I don't know if I will have to rebuild until the system is completely set up, chasing bits and pieces, all the things involved with a pretty major plumbing project even if it is on a small scale, I have a good bit more spent than if I had bought the Frugal, even the "best" version. Also a lot of time invested in this project. Part of the issue is that I live in a rural area where it is a twenty mile round trip to the hardware, sixty or so to a big box, but I would have been miles ahead starting with a Frugal system even if I modified it extensively. Aside from anything else, my chuck would have been up and running weeks ago instead of still messing with it as a side project when I am in the mood. I think I will work on it today, until I remember whatever little small thing I needed that shut down the project last time!

Hu

Gary Baler
10-05-2015, 2:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. It looks like I'll be buying a vacuum chuck shortly. I am able to get the bottoms presentable as is, but I will appreciate being able to do it right.

Thanks again.

Jeffrey J Smith
10-05-2015, 5:45 PM
Like a lot those who chimed in already, I wouldn't wan to be without it. I use it every time I turn a bowl and usually when turning hollow forms. Using the JT turning tools vacuum adapter, the hookup involves slipping in the adapter and changing the chuck. About a two minute operation.

I also use mine to hold work on the bench while carving or signing bottoms - actually I've got a separate pump hooked up to it - the same chucks, just attached to a Woodcut ProMount that easily adjusts to any position. I keep a chuck in it that is sized to hold most of what I work on. Quick change without a key.

Brian McInturff
10-05-2015, 7:00 PM
http://sierramold.com/index.php/woodturning-tools/vacuumaster-vaccum-chuck-assembly/

I use a Seirra Mold VacuuMaster. I've had it going on 8-10 years I think. I have a Stubby with built in vacuum port but since I have this I've just always used it. Takes no time to screw it on. Not associated with them, just a happy customer. It is on the pricey side but convenience was worth it.

Thomas Canfield
10-05-2015, 10:18 PM
I avoided a vacuum system for a long time, but finally bought a system from Frugal Vacuum at SWAT 2014. I have made my homemade chucks with threaded wood block using Beale threader and PVC couplings in several sizes for both my 1 1/4" Powermatic and 1" Nova Comet, and made the swivel adapter for each since the bore hole size is different. The cost for the swivel adapters was less than $5 each using wood scraps and buying some bulk bearings and theaded lamp parts. It definitely is handy for many applications, but you still have to avoid porous material and go back to other methods.

hu lowery
10-05-2015, 11:07 PM
http://sierramold.com/index.php/woodturning-tools/vacuumaster-vaccum-chuck-assembly/

I use a Seirra Mold VacuuMaster. I've had it going on 8-10 years I think. I have a Stubby with built in vacuum port but since I have this I've just always used it. Takes no time to screw it on. Not associated with them, just a happy customer. It is on the pricey side but convenience was worth it.

Brian,

This is where I want to be with my homemade rig eventually, everything in front of the spindle. Aside from other considerations much better flow and less places for potential leakage make this kind of set-up very appealing. Being able to put it on any lathe or holding rig pretty readily is another big positive.

The vacuumaster looks like a nice unit. I'll have to at least ask them what current dollars are.

Hu

Curtis Myers
10-06-2015, 5:40 AM
Mods, if this is out of line please remove/replace or whatever seems right.

Let me put in a plug for the "frugal chuck" operation. No financial connection on my part, but the owner is a good friend. First class setup at significant savings.

I also have a Frugal pump. I got the cheepest setup he had at AAW in Pittsburg and it works very well. Only had it since June with zero issues.

Peter Blair
10-06-2015, 9:51 AM
I use Oneway system and use it ALL the time. Don't know what I would do without them. I have two sizes.