PDA

View Full Version : A couple cool "Instructables" ideas with free files

Mayo Pardo
10-05-2015, 4:59 AM
I saw these and thought I would share

Super flexible plywood from a novel way of cutting it - similar to the book hinge idea but allowing more than one direction of flex -
instructablesdotcom/id/Super-flexible-duble-curvature-surface-laser-cut-p/

and just in time for Halloween -
instructablesdotcom/id/Laser-Cut-Wolverine-Claws/instructablesdotcom/id/Laser-Cut-Wolverine-Claws/

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-05-2015, 6:27 PM
Did a policy change that instructables links cannot be shared? I don't browse the instructables web site unless someone posts a link on this forum. I always find the creativity to be quite interesting and many times innovative.

This was posted just last month with the same link as was edited above.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?234920-Upgrade-to-the-living-hinge

Mayo Pardo
10-05-2015, 7:51 PM
I didn't notice that the flexible plywood one had already been posted - or I forgot about it!
Doesn't bother me if the active link was removed - people can find the site even if just the name was mentioned. I just thought they were interesting and cool ideas that laser owners would appreciate.

Regarding the link issue, (having just read the forum rules), I understand the concept of not wanting to divert traffic from here to somewhere else. And I have no affiliation with anyone or anything in those links, so I wasn't intending to personally benefit from people going there.

On the one hand, links to websites ARE allowed, but links to other FORUMS are not allowed.
To me there is little difference between the two other than structure or how the web page is constructed.
Does the forum format mean it's a money making enterprise? Not always - just depends on the forum.
But a plain personal looking web site can also be a money making enterprise - depends on the site.
Is there a fear that people will stop frequenting this web site/forum if they find another interesting place listed here? To the contrary I think it only makes this place that much more valuable and appreciated.

For anyone who (like me) had not read the rules regarding links:
3. External Linking

Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

Now going back to that idea with the flexible plywood, have any of you tried it in materials other than plywood? I'm tempted to try acrylic but fear it may be too brittle when cut that thin.

Mike Null
10-06-2015, 7:43 AM
Mayo

I removed the link because it is a site that invites public comment which cannot be moderated by SMC. We have no way of knowing whether comments on that site fit within the SMC guidelines. I left adequate info for people to easily find the link if they choose to do so.