PDA

View Full Version : Tip O' The Day from the Village Idiot........shims

Rick Potter
10-05-2015, 4:21 AM
I am always buying or making shims to level out cabinets, etc., so here is another cheap, dirt simple tip that works for me.

I removed a vertical hanging blind from a sliding patio door, and decided to save it so I could cut it down to about 3' high and see if it would work on a shop window. While cutting it, the light dawned that this stuff would make great shims. it is 3" wide, About 1/16" thick, and you can cut it with good scissors. The plastic is almost indestructible, and hard enough, yet slightly pliable. I made some into various sized shims and they work great. I also am keeping some larger chunks of it for any other uses I might think of for it.

I see them in dumpsters all the time, so the price is right.

Frederick Skelly
10-05-2015, 7:09 AM
Good idea Rick. Thanks!

Jim Dwight
10-05-2015, 9:23 AM
Seems like a good idea. I use business cards for thin shims and up against stops to slowly nibble up to the right dimension. This kind of material might work for that too. A lot of time I cut shims to the size I need when in the shop. I don't clean up much so there is typically lots of little pieces available underfoot.

Dan Neuhaus
10-05-2015, 9:28 AM
Scraps of high pressure laminate make great shims as well.

James Goodnight
10-05-2015, 2:44 PM
I recently needed a long and fat shim to place under and level the threshold of a replacement door. So, I went to the blue box store and got a table saw and some PT lumber. I rounded up some other hardware and wood scraps to make a taper jig and then used the TS to slice some beautiful shims from the PT lumber.

I ended up with two each 1-1/2" wide shims that worked perfectly and cost ~$250 each. The saw ended up being free. :rolleyes: :) ;)

I do like the shade concept...

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Chris Padilla
10-05-2015, 2:47 PM
Credit card plastic tends to be dead-nuts on at 1/32". :)

Buck Williams
10-05-2015, 6:13 PM
Great idea, if it isn't official, I think I can give you a run for your money on that "Village Idiot" title.

Tom M King
10-05-2015, 6:21 PM
I recently needed a long and fat shim to place under and level the threshold of a replacement door. So, I went to the blue box store and got a table saw and some PT lumber. I rounded up some other hardware and wood scraps to make a taper jig and then used the TS to slice some beautiful shims from the PT lumber.

I ended up with two each 1-1/2" wide shims that worked perfectly and cost ~$250 each. The saw ended up being free. :rolleyes: :) ;)

I do like the shade concept...

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

No job is worth doing unless you get to buy new tools to do it with.

Steve Kohn
10-05-2015, 10:27 PM
I frequently use shims also. When I was travelling a lot I'd keep the credit card sized room keys. I've probably got 100 of them. They make great thicker shims. For thinner shims I took a deck of playing cards and use them.

One other tip about using blinds. When I took down some roller blinds I unrolled them and cut off both ends. I use these on my workbench to protect the bench from glue and paint squeeze out.

william watts
10-08-2015, 12:03 AM
I also use playing cards. Interesting that playing cards are a controlled .010 thick. They need to have the right 'feel' for the players and to prevent cheating by a different touch to certain cards.

Bradley Gray
10-08-2015, 8:07 AM
I use playing cards also - love the constant .010" - just save up the aces for the big game!

Lee Schierer
10-08-2015, 5:35 PM
For thin shim stock, you can beat an aluminum pop or adult beverage can. You can also cut it with scissors.