PDA

View Full Version : Connecting the DC to pipe?

Jim Dunn
08-27-2005, 8:08 AM
I've come to the time in my shop that I need to connect my DC to my soon to be run ducting. And at the DC I've already run into a snag:mad: The 6X4 Y fitting on my Jet DC comes off easily enough revealing a 6" flange. But the only thing in my collection of fittings that fits over this flange is the 6" hose I've purchased:o. The pipe I'm using is SDR35 (green with white fittings). It uses the same fittings SCH40, it's just lighter pipe. The hose is on the DC and the fitting is over the hose. I just can't seem to get the hose over the pipe. Maybe I'm using the wrong pipe?:eek: Sewer pipe is sewer pipe unless your using #10 pipe and it's not available in 6", at least around here. Maybe I need to heat the hose first so it's more plyable?:confused: Once the DC is hooked up to the ducting it's pretty much in it's place for life:rolleyes: and I don't want to move it anymore ever, never.:D This transition will take place anytime I need to make a drop so I need to figure it out NOW.

Just ranting this morning but I know someone will come thru with a suggestion:).

Jim

Cecil Arnold
08-27-2005, 8:41 AM
Jim, IMHO there are two things you can do to address your situation. Shrink the pipe or strech the hose. If you will check Bill Prinz's web site he has an article on bending and forming PVC pipe that may help, and in the past I have had luck with dipping flex hose in very hot water (boiling, then taken to the shop) to make 4" slip over the Euro connection on my bandsaw.

Jim Becker
08-27-2005, 8:42 AM
You can use a very short piece of the 6" hose (just enough to make the connection and none of the rough surface exposed to the air flow) with no problem and it will give you some vibration and sound isolation. You can also buy a rubber connector in the plumbing department of your local borg to do the same thing...costs more than a couple band clamps, however... ;)

Jim Dunn
08-27-2005, 8:43 AM
Thanks!! I think I'll try the boiling water first. I can always use it to make tea if it don't work for the hose:)

JayStPeter
08-27-2005, 9:14 AM
I used two different methods to get hose attached to S&D. The first is a transition to metal. I wrapped some window sealing foam around a short piece of 6" HVAC metal and shove it into the bell end of PVC. Then attach with Al tape. The metal can be worked using a tapering tool.
The second way is to just slit the tube and slide it over the PVC. If you pull the next wire up nice and tight, there is just a very small hole left. You can easily seal it with some tape. In some cases I didn't even bother to do that.

Jay

Tom Jones III
08-29-2005, 8:34 AM
Just for one more idea, at one point, I used a couple inches of flex hose like Jim suggested, but you still sometimes have a problem connecting the flex hose to the pipe so I used one of those cheap black plastic DC connectors that you pick up at a woodworking store. Their size is a little off from the pvc, so flex hose fits around it, and you have no trouble fitting it to PVC.