PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Simple

Chris Barton
08-27-2005, 7:35 AM
As I was going trough some of my stock a couple of days ago I ran across some wide spalted maple that I had forgot about. I am beginning to turn pieces for Christmas gifts and plan to use this spalted maple in some of them. Here is the first, a platter about 10" in diameter finished with EEE wax/polish.

Chris

Jim Becker
08-27-2005, 8:28 AM
Chris, I particularly like turnings like this...the elegance is in the simplicity; the message in the wood. Great job!

Richard Wolf
08-27-2005, 8:31 AM
Very nice piece of wood and great turning.

Richard

Dick Parr
08-27-2005, 5:43 PM
Very nice Chris :)

Jim Ketron
08-27-2005, 8:05 PM
Nice platter, love the curl mixed with the spalting

Ernie Nyvall
08-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Chris... you spoiled the surprise... Now I know what I'm getting for Christmas. :D Very nice platter. Some nice wood too.

Ernie

Rich Stewart
08-28-2005, 1:22 AM
I'm curious. From what I understand, spalting is a fungus in the wood. Is it safe to eat off plates and bowls that are spalted? I have found some kind of wood that has spalting in it but the wood is too porous and soft to hold any liquid. Pretty colors but the wood seems almost rotted. Really pretty platter.

Chris Barton
08-28-2005, 7:34 AM
Hi Rich,

Theoretically your information about spalting is correct. Some people may have an allergic reaction to the mold spores if they ingest them. However, Most of the spalted pieces I have made or seen others make seem to be intended as art objects so it is unlikely that the ingestion of spores would happen.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-28-2005, 2:18 PM
Simply ELEGANT, Chris!

Bruce

Chris Barton
08-28-2005, 4:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the complements. I think it is very important for most of us to be able to post our projects and get valuable feedback and reinforcement for our peers. Thanks again for taking the time to look and post!

Michael Stafford
08-28-2005, 6:11 PM
I have yet to turn a platter and I really should sometime. I hope my effort looks as nice as yours. Very attractive, simple understated elegance! :)