PDA

View Full Version : X Axis

Ray Beaty
10-04-2015, 4:17 PM
So I was in the process of beam alignment and the x axis stopped moving and when I move it by hand it is hard to move and makes a grinding like noise so just wondering if the motor may be toast? I also noticed a red light blinking on the microstep driver. Just wondering if someone can advise me of what the problem may be and how I may fix it.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Gweike 60w
Corel Draw x5 & x6

Joe Pelonio
10-05-2015, 8:44 PM
Sounds like the motor, but check to see if the gears are jammed, and if so may have bent the shaft. Remove the belt and you can make sure it's not just the bearing on the other end of the rail. I have replaced my Epilog X-motor twice but the last replacement was beefed up and has lasted a lot longer.

Rich Harman
10-05-2015, 9:49 PM
So I was in the process of beam alignment and the x axis stopped moving and when I move it by hand it is hard to move and makes a grinding like noise so just wondering if the motor may be toast? I also noticed a red light blinking on the microstep driver. Just wondering if someone can advise me of what the problem may be and how I may fix it.

It is normal for an energized stepper motor to make grinding type noises when forced to move. It's also normal for the driver's leds to flash when moving a stepper by hand when the power is off - the motor acts like a generator providing voltage.

Ray Beaty
10-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Thanks Joe for your reply, I will check this out.

Ray Beaty
10-05-2015, 10:47 PM
Rich, when the laser is on the y axis will move up and down using the control panel but the x axis won't move at all and I noticed the red light was flashing on the driver when the laser is on, so I was wondering if the x driver could be bad. Thanks for your reply!

Rich Harman
10-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Rich, when the laser is on the y axis will move up and down using the control panel but the x axis won't move at all and I noticed the red light was flashing on the driver when the laser is on, so I was wondering if the x driver could be bad. Thanks for your reply!

I would check for loose connections. Both from the driver to the stepper and from the main board to the driver.

Walt Langhans
10-06-2015, 3:41 PM
Once you check the connections like Rich suggested, you can swap the connections from the y controller with the x controller, if the x still doesn't move, but the y moves then you know the controllers are ok. Next switch the controller back to their original configuration, and then go to your mother board (main control) and swap the cables going to the x and y controllers. If the x still doesn't move your stepper motor is dead and needs to be replaced.

Ray Beaty
10-06-2015, 8:38 PM
Thanks Walt I will give this a try