PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Planer dust collection

David Haywood
10-04-2015, 1:43 PM
I have a Powermatic 209 HH planer. I have had problems with the dust collection since I first installed it. Dust seems to be picked up on the right hand side of the table fine but not on the left. I have compared the workings inside under the cover and everything appears the same. Powermatic tech support has been no help.
Has anyone else experienced a similar problem as this?

David Kumm
10-04-2015, 2:36 PM
What size collector. DC pulls air from the easiest spot so if not enough cfm or pressure, there won't be air pulled from the side that develops higher resistance due to the make up air. Dave

Dan Hahr
10-04-2015, 3:04 PM
I have a 15" Delta, but there is no problem getting the chips out of the planer as they are ejected fine. The small dust collector does the rest.
dan

Martin Wasner
10-04-2015, 4:43 PM
I have a 15" Powermatic, (the yellow Grizzly variation), and the dust chute goes at angle. I too have less suction on the left side of the table. I think it's because of that angle that it's less successful. It has a 4" port on it which I also think is insufficient.

George Panagopoulos
10-04-2015, 7:16 PM
I have the Jet version of this planer. Specs looked similar when I bought it 3 years ago. I have not had any problems with dust collection. Worked a while to finally eliminate snipe.. I have the planer ducted with a short run of 5" dia. flex hose which steps down from a 6" steel duct and is connected to a 3hp Oneida dust collector which is about 20' away.

David Haywood
10-08-2015, 10:51 AM
I have a 5hp Oneida cyclone with a 6" line running about 20' from planer to collector. There is a trash can collector between planer and main 6" line. I have run the system without the trash can collector with the same results. The chips only collect on the left side of the output chute which has a 5" opening.

Travis Porter
10-11-2015, 7:54 PM
I have the 209HH and a 3 hp super gorilla and have less than great dust pickup. Prior to this I had a 15 inch grizzly that did better IMO. I haven't hooked it back up since I moved but I wonder if I didn't have the correct pipe size for the distance.

I did adjust the orange thingy (tech term) inside to be closer/ parallel and it helped a little, but not a lot. I also had about 20 feet of pipe and wonder there as well.