PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my mistake

Jim Gallo
10-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Ok, I am making progress on my wedding gift to my son's future bride. But I'm running out of time. The wedding is Oct 16, and I only have the arched top wine box lid done (ALMOST). When I went to make the slot for the momento's for the guests to write a note on, my router chewed up the sides of the staves a little. I didn't want to try to setup the table saw again to try to match the exact angle on new staves, I used Rock Hard putty where the damage was and sanded it down. However, when I glued the staves together, I have a very light, but very noticable seam between the maple staves. I would like to find a way to cut a kerf in the top of the lid, either on a table saw or router table, and fill the kerf with a slice of purpleheart. Would anyone know of a safe and accurate way to saw the kerf in the lid? Would some sort of jig work? I'm worried that I'm not going to have this finished in time because of all the mistakes I've made. The first mistake was making the box before the lid, then trying to make the staves the correct angle and width to match the box. Well, of course the lid ended up wider than the box. Second mistake was that I used too much purpleheart on the box because I had to remake the box because my cheap dado set blew out the backs of the box joints on the purpleheart and I didn't have enough for the lid. I scrapped the box and will make a new box to match the lid size, which I should have done in the first place. So I made the lid out of maple with two purpleheart racing stripes. I still have to install the hinges and full mortise lock, which I have never done before. Plus put a bottom on the lid to catch the momentos and make cradles for the bottle of wine in the bottom part of the box. Then a finish. It seems that everything I touch on this project turns to crap. Help!!!! Jim

Jim Gallo
10-04-2015, 11:13 AM
A close up

Jim Gallo
10-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Another one

Jim Gallo
10-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Full length

Alan Kalker
10-04-2015, 11:17 AM
If you have a bandsaw, you can create a sled that matches the curves of your work piece. That will hold your work steady as you slide it through the tablesaw. You can use double stick tape to hold the work securely on the sled.

Tom Ewell
10-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Creative opportunity to enhance, not hide.
Groove out the joint, fill with epoxy, strip of wood, brass wire etc.
Let set, re-sand, continue.

eugene thomas
10-04-2015, 11:40 AM
think tom has the best way to fix problem, if cut apart might chip again...

Roy Harding
10-04-2015, 5:41 PM
I like Tom's idea. You'll need to make a jig to hold it steady while you cut the groove. Alan has a good suggestion regarding the jig's construction.

Ray Newman
10-04-2015, 6:45 PM
How 'bout a long plyw'd/scrap saddle or box to fit the box top, mount router on top. Clamp to workbench with router on top, then slowly push the box top through? Miill a strip of purple heart to fit?

Does not look like it would need a very wide or deep groove -- maybe same width as slot for notes??

Jim Gallo
10-04-2015, 6:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I do have what I can use as a sled, I made it as a form to clamp the lid while the glue dried. I would just need to put a high fence on the front and back so it doesn't split apart. Thanks again.

Jim

Barry McFadden
10-04-2015, 6:48 PM
If you have or have access to a radial saw it would be no problem to cut a shallow groove down the middle...