PDA

View Full Version : Will this motor work for my Craftsman Contractor's saw?

Franklin Scott
10-04-2015, 9:52 AM
I was looking through Cragslist last night and found a guy selling new in box electric motors for $60. He buys and sells from auctions, estate sales, etc.. and doesn't know anything about them but posted pics of the specs. I turned up nothing searching the Manufacturer's site with the model number. I think they are custom made. My 113. Craftsman Contractors saw is fully restored with the original motor and it works fine but could use a little more power. From my limited knowledge it seems to be worth a look. Any comments from those who know motors is appreciated.

Specs:

Marathon General Purpose Electric Motor
115 volt
AC
Amps 18.6/9.9-9.3
Single phase
HP is listed "spl" (special?) when I look up other motors with similar specs, the HP is in the 1 1/2 -2 HP range.
RPM 1725

CL AD:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mat/5222612704.html

Mark Wooden
10-04-2015, 9:57 AM
Motor RPM's for tablesaws are generally 3450-4000; a 1725 RPM would require a larger drive pulley and different belt

Franklin Scott
10-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Ahhh...RPM was my biggest concern. I couldn't remember the RPM range for table saws. Making the necessary adjustments to make it work could be a bigger hassle than it is worth.

The seller says he has about a dozen motors but doesn't mention if they are all the same so I sent him an email.

Bill Orbine
10-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Don't forget the frame spec.......... so that the motor fits regardless power requirements, outputs and RPMs. The motor you are looking at is 145T frame. The motor you have is 56 (guessing here)??? It doesn't always mean the 145T won't fit, but can it fit and work on your saw?