PDA

View Full Version : Little kickback mishap...

scott spencer
08-27-2005, 4:39 AM
I got one of those rude awakenings this afternoon b/c I failed to clear all the cutoff pieces out of the way sufficiently. I was trimming 3/8" flat oak door panels to length on a crosscutting sled this p.m., when a 2"x7" piece of cutoff caught the blade and launched. It broke into two pieces coming off the blade and a 2"x4" piece ricocheted off my bare upper arm and shoulder, flew nearly 40' at an angle and hit my 6 year old playing in the front yard. My back was to the driveway where the kids aren't allow to stand while I'm cutting. She was ~ 25' off axis and was in what I would have thought was a safe place, but she still got a little mark on her arm when it hit her. A sympathy band aid helped us both through that experience.

I was really lucky for sure. I have an obvious 2"x4" red rectangle on my arm that's outlined with small spots of broken skin that'll likely be bruised tomorrow, but will be good as new in a couple of days. Had that piece hit me with an edge or a corner, it would have left a nasty gouge and broken skin that would have undoubtedly needed some emergency care.

A combination of stupidity, guilt, and vulnerability left me feeling a little sick about the whole thing. It was my fault, it was avoidable, and it was a very inexpensive lesson and reminder. In addition to upsetting my daughter, what bothers me most is that this is the same type of thing that causes most amputations or serious injuries...I just lucked out.

Bart Leetch
08-27-2005, 6:53 AM
Thanks Scott for the reminder in a small shop with its make do situations like having the to bench double as an off feed table we sometimes don't clear the area of the saw top & bench sufficiently to make it safe to do the sawing safely :eek: . Yes I put the word safe in the same sentence twice on purpose. We can all work on safety a whole lot more. :D

I am extremely glad you or your daughter were not injured any worse. :)

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2005, 9:38 AM
Hey Scott, glad no one was hurt to bad. It happens to everyone once in a while. Just try to minimize it. I have launched a few pieces in my day as well....with it stuck accross the street in the front yard of my neighbor. My son who was probably 8 or 9 at the time just said "cool...try a bigger one" .... like I was launching it on purpose! Again, glad all is ok.

Corey