PDA

View Full Version : Antique shop find

Bob Glenn
10-03-2015, 9:21 AM
No pictures. however, wandering through a local antique shop last weekend, I spotted a wooden coffin smoother in bad shape. Two and half inch bevel down iron with chip breaker, the wooden body was cracked and unrepairable. With a five dollar price tag, I couldn't pass it by. The iron seems to be in pretty good shape, albeit dirty and in need of attention. Further inspection reveals the bedding side of the iron to have a slight dish of about 1/32 of an inch across six inches length wise.

I want to make a new wooden body for the iron, but wondering the best way to deal with the dish. The old plane bedding surface is dead flat.

Will the wedge push the dish out or should I spend some time on the stones taking to make the iron flat?

Jim Davis
10-03-2015, 9:53 AM
For a long period, plane irons and chisels were made by laminating a thin layer of high-carbon steel to a mild steel layer. My guess is that the iron is bent and can be straightened carefully. With a straight edge, check to see if the curve is regular or concentrated in one area. Block the iron such that it can only be flexed an eight of an inch or so. Flex the iron opposite the current bend and see if you have changed it. If not, change the blocking to allow a little more flex. Repeat that sequence until you get the bend out.

Just my $.02

Jim

bridger berdel
10-04-2015, 1:39 AM
I have some that are wrought iron with a hard steel inlaid edge. They straighten nicely with gentle taps from a hammer.

Brian Holcombe
10-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Bob,

David Weaver sent me a note with regard to your quandary.

You should leave the hollow, the hollow is intentionally made so that the iron beds at the top and bottom of the plane.

Bob Glenn
10-04-2015, 4:57 PM
Bob,

David Weaver sent me a note with regard to your quandary.

You should leave the hollow, the hollow is intentionally made so that the iron beds at the top and bottom of the plane.

Thank you, Brian. I had a suspicion this may be the case. I think a well fitted wedge may pull it down tight. Bob