PDA

View Full Version : Tip for installing a new tube?

Clark Pace
10-03-2015, 8:11 AM
My original tube came with eye bolt and so did the anode and cathode. These new tubes don't have that.

I have used various methods, what seem to work for you? The solder I used does not seem to bind well to the anode and cathode tubes ends. I have heard maybe a rosin core would work better?

Bill George
10-03-2015, 9:49 AM
The metal they use is difficult if not impossible to solder. On my GWeike the negative terminal was a insulated alligator clip the positive end had a screw / clamp arrangement. A visit to the home improvement store near you and look in the electrical department will give you some ideas. Some are called a split bolt connectors and they would work on either end. You can purchase in very small size.

Dave Sheldrake
10-03-2015, 1:57 PM
Get a chocolate blok connector and cut the brass section out of it, use that to fix the wires BUT don't tighten it too much, you risk bending the Hycor or Tungsten electrode and cracking the tube where the electrode enters.

You are right about solder, it's not possible to solder tungsten or Hycor at anywhere near the temperatures needed without cracking the glass, at best you can create a mechanical covalent bond rather than the ionic bond you would expect from soldering.

I've also seen a spring used, solder the wire to the spring (a spring with a bore size slightly under the diameter of the electrode), twist the spring on against it's winding directed as it will grip under it's own tension. (of course cover everything afterwards to ensure no voltage leaks)