PDA

View Full Version : What are your top 5 'most used' expensive tools

mark mcfarlane
10-03-2015, 4:38 AM
Just curious about others workflows.

Which machines get used the most? What expensive tool did you invest in that sits mostly unused?

What are you making?

Assume your combo machine is not a combo machine...

Jim Finn
10-03-2015, 6:50 AM
I make small cedar boxes with images or lettering inlaid into the hinged lid. The most used piece of equipment in my shop is a 8"x48" stationary sander. The least used is a $600 used scroll saw. I have two other scroll saws that I use every day.

Anthony Whitesell
10-03-2015, 6:55 AM
The tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, and planer are all used equal amounts. Followed less by the drill press (using a battery hand drill instead) and even less by the drum sander and scrollsaw. Though the sander was purchased new and least used. When it is used, it is the right tool for the job and have no regrets about having purchased it. The scrollsaw was purchased used and also do not regret for the same reasons.

Mike Henderson
10-03-2015, 7:17 AM
The tool I never use is the plate joiner (biscuit tool). And now that I have a Domino, it's even less likely to get used. I have a few other corded tools that I mostly never use because I have cordless versions of them. Should sell them.

The Domino gets used a fair amount, but my table saw and miter saw are the heart of the shop. The dust collector gets used on just about every process.

Mike

Max Neu
10-03-2015, 7:28 AM
I make cabinets and furniture,
Most used- 10' slider,shaper, cutoff saw,planer,pocket hole machine, wide belt sander.
Least used -drill press, scroll saw,edge bander,edge sander,16" bandsaw(mostly use a 24" bandsaw ).

Mike Cutler
10-03-2015, 7:31 AM
Mark

In order of most, to least, expensive machines that get used. It would be as follows;
Dual drum sander.
15" planer.
Table saw(s).
Track saw.
Jointer.
Dust Collector.

Mixed in with these would be the bandsaw(s), shaper, chop saw, and router(s),depending on the project. Every project starts with dimensioning lumber though,so that kinda sorts the list.

Most expensive tool I have that gathers the most dust is a Micro Fence for routers. I won't get rid of it though. I've used it once or twice in the last decade or so, and it came in really handy.

Most of my projects revolve around house renovation/ period restoration.

Pete Staehling
10-03-2015, 7:57 AM
I make stringed musical instruments. My most used stationary power tools are:
Bandsaw - most used of all, the one tool that I definitely would not try to do my work without
Thickness sander - next most used, a huge work saver
Bench disk/belt sander - used a good bit
Drill press - used a good bit
Spindle sander - used a good bit
Table saw - used a good bit
Router table - not used very much

I probably should note that for most of the tools listed above it would be a stretch to call them expensive. A couple were bought used and inexpensively, some were harbor freight stuff, and a couple were full price brand name stuff. They all do a pretty good job of doing what I expect from them.

Robert Parent
10-03-2015, 8:00 AM
Agree with the statement the most expensive tool is one not used:

These were expensive, but get used...
Tormach CNC mill
Camaster CNC router
Southbend lathe
RBI Planer
Powermatic jointer

Robert

Mike Heidrick
10-03-2015, 8:53 AM
I make cnc'd templates, jigs, and signs and 3d printer parts.

Cnc router 4x4
1340 lathe
Sawstop
Jointer
Planer
Clamp rack
DC's
Cnc 1050 kneemill
Shaper

Honerable mention due to less than $400
Chopsaw station
Festool sander
Festool vac

pat warner
10-03-2015, 9:04 AM
Most Intensive: Rectangle maker, (http://patwarner.com/images/new_router_table1.jpg) used 5-6 days/wk.
Least used, but one of the best: A Bosch Jig saw.

Cody Colston
10-03-2015, 9:42 AM
Cyclone Dust Collector
10" Cabinet Saw
8" Jointer
15" Planer
17" Bandsaw

Those are the top 5 most expensive/most used machines but I use every tool in my shop at varying frequency, including the hand tools. My 20' x 30' shop doesn't have any excess space so if a tool doesn't get used, it doesn't stay.

Martin Wasner
10-03-2015, 10:23 AM
There isn't much that doesn't get used in my shop. I've got a drill press that is rarely used, a bandsaw that isn't used often, and a spindle sander that doesn't get used much, but other than the drill press, pretty much everything gets used on every job.

Some stuff was acquired used, but I'll go off of replacement cost

1. Widebelt. Almost $40k invested, but that includes wiring it, which had about $3k into pulling another 200 amp service into the building.

2. Striebig Panel saw. I think that was just shy of $30k by the time it was shipped, setup, wired.

3. Whirlwind 212L jump saw with a 12' Tigerstop. A comparable Northfield saw is $10k, (Whirlwind doesn't really exist anymore), the Tigerstops new are about $8k new. I paid $5600 I think for the pair. To be fair, the jump saw isn't be used currently, I bought it to go in the new shop.

4. SCMi Shaper. I bought used, but a new one would be $10k, plus another $1200 putting a powerfeed on it.

5. SAC shaper. I bought used, but a new one if it were available would be about $10k and the $1200 powerfeed on it.

My new/used dust collector isn't up and running yet, (and won't be for a quite a while), I think replacement cost on that would be around $15k. Forklift was bought used, a new one has to be over $20k for a triple mast and side shift. I don't know if those fit in the cost or not. I need to upgrade my CAD software, they want $7500 to do that, that'd bring me up to about $11k invested in that.

I keep a spreadsheet on a cloud for insurance reasons with every power tool I've got on it. From stationary equipment down to handheld power tools, I'm at $292,000 in replacement cost for everything. I'd be willing to bet there's at least $5,000 worth of miscellaneous stuff small stuff that isn't on that list that adds up quickly. There's probably at least $10k worth of hardware, material, and fasteners in stock in the shop at any given time as well that I'm not accounting for should the shop burn down. I really need to update my policy. The last twelve months I've bought a lot of tooling and tools. The widebelt was a bit over a year ago, and since then I've gotten a new/used linebore, two new/used shapers, cutters, a used forklift, the Whirlwind, the bag house dust collector, YIKES!

My new building, including land is going to cost me just under $400k. :( That'll hopefully get used a bunch. :D

Shawn Pixley
10-03-2015, 12:09 PM
For corded tools:

Tablesaw
bandsaw
drum sander

most other corded tools are only used sporatically.

James Baker SD
10-03-2015, 12:50 PM
most used: tablesaw
least used: lathe

glenn bradley
10-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Just curious about others workflows. Which machines get used the most?

For machines the bandsaw, jointer, planer, tablesaw and dust collector get used on almost anything I make.

What expensive tool did you invest in that sits mostly unused?

The scrollsaw. It lives a precarious life in my shop. Just about the time I think I want the real estate that it sucks up back for something more "useful", I will need it. I am generally scrolling thick stock and the lighter machines I tried just weren't up to the task. It is a DW788 on the stand. I generally put my machines on shop made stands with more effective storage but, the scrollsaw kind of wedges in like a slice of pie between the rear of a drill press and a sanding station so, it gets to live ;-)

What are you making?

Everything from earrings and jewelry boxes to hutches and dining tables.

Bruce Page
10-03-2015, 1:20 PM
My Unisaw, CNC router, and Woodmaster drum sander get used regularly. My MM16 bandsaw can go a year or more between uses. I have a smaller bandsaw that is used often.

Keith Hankins
10-03-2015, 1:34 PM
I'd have to say my Saw Stop 5HP ICS is most exp and most used for now. Processing lumber has all my tools that cost the most. I have a Festool SCMC for rough dimensioning, the 12" jointer for getting two surfaces flat and perpendicular, and my 1960" northfield planer for making them parallel. Next would be the router table, and various routers and jigs.

Biggest disapointment was the delta was the x5 18/36 sander. paid close to a grand and it never stayed in calibration. Ended up selling it for 200 bucks to get it out of my shop. Also last (modern) delta product I would purchase.

Dave Cav
10-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Safety Speed Cut 36 x 60" wide belt sander, without a doubt. I use it all the time to make furniture and furniture-like objects.

The least used stationary tools would probably be my 2 Delta HD shapers, but I'm glad I have them for the times they are needed.

jack duren
10-04-2015, 12:23 AM
Universal 3615 nesting cell CNC
2nd CNC
SCMI SANYA 16
SCMI 900
2 DOUCET clamp wheels
2 paint booths a 3rd in progress

least used???? KENTWOOD gang rip saw

Bill McNiel
10-04-2015, 12:26 AM
Most expensive-used most;
unisaw
jointer/planer
resaw
Festool Track-saw & sanders
custom router table (lift, router & fence)

Most expensive investment used the least - wife number 2

I make custom furniture - tables, desks, chairs, some built-ins. I don't do full kitchens anymore, can't compete with KitchenAide and really don't like repetitive task projects.

Bill ThompsonNM
10-04-2015, 2:27 AM
Most used
Unisaw
Delta 14 inch RAS
Woodmaster drum sander
Dewalt panel saw
Laguna LT18

Least used
Delta shaper

Bud Millis
10-04-2015, 2:51 AM
Marc,

Its kinda hard to say because it varies on the project being worked on. I would say pretty much all my projects will see jointer, planer, table saw and the scraps seeing the inside of the dust collector. Depending on the project there are a number of routes it can go after the main 3 tools. Thinking about just the last 3 projects/tools used: highchair/domino & bandsaw; tool cabinet/dovetail saw & trim router; Maloof Rocker: bandsaw & air compressor.

Mark, it all comes down to the type of project your working on, what kind of tools you have at the time, experience, etc. In between the rocker and highchair a domino was added. If I was to pick tools that set mostly unused I would say 2 lathes, 2 drill presses and bench top mortiser.

Cody Colston
10-04-2015, 7:36 AM

That's funny right there. :D:D:D

Bob Hoffmann
10-04-2015, 10:29 AM
First off, I think that there is a lot of money spent on equipment ... it seems as though the adage that the craft has moved to spending more gets better craftsmanship is true. This is only an observation.

For me, I have to say that my Ulmia workbench is in the top 5. The others are: and this is only from memory, since the major tool purchases have been done years ago, and I have no idea of the actual cost -- this is more of a most used list: table saw with added on sliding table, miter saw, jointer / planer, dust collector (these things cost a lot and are used whenever I turn on another machine, this includes the ducting, blast gates, filter).

Evan Patton
10-04-2015, 2:13 PM
Just curious about others workflows.

Which machines get used the most? What expensive tool did you invest in that sits mostly unused?

What are you making?

Assume your combo machine is not a combo machine...
Festool track saw/MFT/shopvac gets used A LOT. Don't use my tablesaw or bandsaw as much as I thought I would, but they are handy when I need them.

The Festool CMS and 1010 router don't get used much, and in hindsight I could definitely have done without them. Thinking I might need a lesson on the CMS as it's just complicated enough to not want to mess with setting it up.

Not working on anything at the moment, but the weather cooling makes me start thinking about getting out to the shop.

Jim Becker
10-04-2015, 2:49 PM
J/P and slider are the heart of my shop. Routers and bandsaw get the majority of the rest of this list. Most used hand-held electric is my Festool 12v drill/driver by far. Lease used "expensive" tool in my shop is my lathe...I haven't been doing much turning lately. Lease used moderate cost tool in my shop...and one I'm likely to just sell since it hasn't been turned on in many years...is my Jet mortiser.

Frederick Skelly
10-04-2015, 8:29 PM
Most used: CMS, Bandsaw
Least used: Delta BOSS (spindle sander). Don't use it very often, but when I need it I'm very glad to have it. Like today!
Projects: small furniture & decorative boxes

Mike Schuch
10-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Most used in order:

1) 1947 16" Redstar radial arm saw - I don't think I have ever completed a project with out it.
2) 8" Chinese jointer.
3) 15" Chinese planer.
4) Powermatic 65 10" cabinet table saw.
5) Davis and Wells horizontal boring machine.
6) Shaper.

Least used:
1) Rockwell Lathe.
2) 18" Jet bandsaw.
3) Scroll saw
4) ?

Rod Sheridan
10-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Mark, I have 2 combo machines, a jointer/planer and a saw/shaper.

Each is used on almost every project. and is indispensable in my shop.

I guess the cyclone however would be my most used expensive tool as it gets used for every machine in the shop.

I mostly make solid wood furniture with the occasional kitchen cabinet type piece.

As for what doesn't get used in my shop, electric router, pneumatic nailer, biscuit joiner or Domino.

The hollow chisel mortise and band saw are used on almost every project as well.

Regards, Rod.

Rick Potter
10-06-2015, 2:25 AM
In order:

Dust collector
Radial arm saw
Table saw
Router table or shaper
Jointer

Mike Ontko
10-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Which machines get used the most?

Jointer (Grizzly 8" G0586 with Byrd shelix head)
Planer (DW745)
Tablesaw (Grizzly G1022ZF, 10" @ 2hp, w/Shop Fox fence)
Compound Miter Saw (DW705 12")
Bandsaw (Grizzly 17" G0513X2BF)

Honorable mention goes to my mini router table, a Bosch RA1171, that I use with a PC690.

(edit) didn't even think about the dust collector (Jet DC1100A, modified with a Wynn can filter and P.Thein baffle), which I got used off of CL for about what I'd paid for the CMS above.

As a general rule (and everyone on this board knows about these kinds of rules), I don't buy tools until I actually have a specific need for using them. But...I have an older model (D1258R) Leigh dovetail jig that I found on CL and then upgraded with a kit from Leigh. I had expected to use it for building some dresser drawers that are planned for a future project. Right now, however, it sits on a shelf while I'm struggling with my first set of hand cut half-blind DTs...go figure.

What are you making?

Furniture, in general, and hopefully of the "fine" variety (only time will tell). But my first official project was a set of holiday deer displays for the front lawn, based on plans I bought out of Wood magazine.

last project - traditional Japanese style tatami platform bed, standard king size, in solid ash with poplar support slats
current project - coffee table, inspired by an italian made (Selva) model, made from solid european beech and beech ply.
future projects - makeup table/vanity in chestnut or ash, bookcases in cherry and doug. fir, barstools for our kitchen counter, other beds, dressers, chairs, etc.

Jim Dwight
10-06-2015, 4:13 PM
I have no combination machines or slider table saw. I have a benchtop hollow chisel mortiser and use it but not as much as other tools. My most expensive tool is probably my tracksaw which gets used the most currently. I am mainly doing house stuff with an occasional set of shelves. I need to make a bed or two. Before buying this house I made 5 bedroom sets, 12 chairs for kitchens, one complete set of kitchen cabinets, all the interior doors of one house, etc.. I use my table saw (Ryobi BT3100), RAS (another Ryobi) and CMS (Hitachi) a lot too. My 4 decent routers see regular use as do my pneumatic nailers (23gauge to framing), cordless nailer (Ryobi 18 gauge) and biscuit joiner (Skil). I don't have a domino but may get one someday. My Rigid shop vacuum/dust deputy combination gets used with the other tools and may thus see the most use.

glenn bradley
10-06-2015, 4:40 PM

That's funny right there. :D:D:D

And nervy. I'm impressed :D

Jim Becker
10-10-2015, 2:10 PM
I guess the cyclone however would be my most used expensive tool as it gets used for every machine in the shop.

Ah...I completely overlooked that on my own response. Very good point. Same for me in actuality.

Rick Fisher
10-10-2015, 2:20 PM
SCM Wide Belt
Griggio Planer
Felder Edge Sander
Griggio Jointer
Felder RL-160 Dust Collector

Rick Potter
10-10-2015, 4:40 PM
When answering, it dawned on me that except for my 10 year old 36" drum sander, and my fairly new SawStop, my Onieda DC, with plumbing, IS my most expensive tool.

We are now designing a shed outside the shop to put it in, which will make it the most expensive, if we do it.

Dave Cav
10-11-2015, 2:02 PM

As a general rule (and everyone on this board knows about these kinds of rules), I don't buy tools until I actually have a specific need for using them. But...I have an older model (D1258R) Leigh dovetail jig that I found on CL and then upgraded with a kit from Leigh.

I had the same experience. I bought a Leigh setup, including a router, I think (I'm not sure, routers are SOOOOO hard to keep track of), but I'm on my second batch of drawers in a couple of weeks, and I used the Keller setup for both of them. Maybe one of these days the Leigh jig will get used, but not this month.

Jim Bowers
10-12-2015, 8:07 AM
Mine are Multi-split AC unit, Table saw, Dust Collector, Planner, Air Compressor. I listed these in the order of use.

William C Rogers
10-12-2015, 8:21 AM
Mine are:

Most Used
cyclone DC
Sawstop
wood lathes
jointer/planer
miter saw
router table

least used

scroll saw

David Helm
10-12-2015, 1:19 PM
Jointer, Table saw, Band saw, Drum sander (Because I mostly use highly figured wood this replaces the straight knived planer).