PDA

View Full Version : Nova Chuck Choice Question

Dan Masshardt
10-02-2015, 9:32 PM
I've been turning on a Jet 1221 the last couple years (still have it) and recently acquired a used Jet 1642 lathe and plan to turn the biggest bowls and platters that it will reasonably accommodate.

I have two nova g3 chucks that I've been basically happy with and I got an insert for one to go on the new lathe. I have at least half a dozen jaw sets. So, I want to get a bigger chuck to turn larger bowls and platters and want to get some larger jaws as well.

So my plan has been to buy a SN2 and probably some 4" jaws. Shopping online it has occurred to me that the price of a SN2 plus insert plus 4" jaws is pretty much the exact same price as a Nova Titan that includes 4" powergrip jaws and is direct thread. I know that Nova recommends these for larger lathes generally.

Question is, are there drawbacks to the Titan over the SN2? Are the powergrip jaws in any way more difficult to use than the shallow 4" jaws?

Guide me... :-) I have the g3 for all my smaller jaws so that's not a problem and I'll probably he let another SN2 In the foreseeable future no matter what I get right now. Thanks!

Dok Yager
10-02-2015, 9:54 PM
Dan; I started with a G3 on my Nova Comet II. I then went to the bigger 1642-44 and bought a G2 which I still have and all the same jaws fit. The Titan is IMHO not that great of a piece and has some issues. I have the powergrip jaws and use them often when doing smaller hollow forms such as vases. I would recommend you Stick with the G2 for interchangeability of jaws and Pass on the Titan for now. If later down the road you decide to get a Bigger lathe then look at the HTC125 chuck, great chuck for the money. However none of your Nova jaws will fit. JMHO.

Roger Chandler
10-02-2015, 10:09 PM
why not go with the SuperNova2 with the powergrip jaws? I have that combination and it works well for bowls and hollow forms up to 16" plus.

Dan Masshardt
10-02-2015, 10:12 PM
The reason I posed the question is because the cost is the same. I likely will get the SN2, just thought I'd explore the possibilities.

I will likely have this lathe for a few years before getting something bigger. :-)

Bill Blasic
10-03-2015, 6:07 AM
The original Titan had three screws per jaw with the 5" Power Grip jaws when they re-released it they just put in the 2 screw slides and use the 4" Power Grip jaws. I see absolutely no advantage of using the Titan over the SN2. I would never buy the new Titan again and had I noticed the difference before I bought it I would not have.

Thom Sturgill
10-03-2015, 8:01 AM
The SN2 is all the chuck you need for the 1642, IMHO. I turn on a 1642 and upgraded from two G3 chucks that I had for my Jet 1220 after buying a new insert for one of them. I greatly prefer the closed body and chuck key and the additional mass. The additional mass would be the only reason for the Titan, and probably not worth it for a 1642. Bill's information about the difference in the Titan and Titan II explains a lot about why the large jaws were originally only for the Titan. I somehow doubt that screw failure has been an issue. I do not think that I have EVER read of a chuck failing due to the jaws coming loose from the chuck.

Both the 100m and 130mm dovetail jaws say 'only for the SN2 and Titan II chuck bodies' with the 100mm for footed bowls and projects up to 14" and the 130 for shallow bowls and platters up to 20".

Nova sells re-conditioned chucks, but the price has gone up from $100 to almost the price of a new chuck, only about a $20 difference. However, I do see an announcement of a bundle of large jaws that is available for pre-order. They will be available in November according to the site. The bundle includes 'the NOVA JS130N 130mm (5") Jaws, the NOVA 6017 75mm (3") Long Nose Jaws and the NOVA PJSN PowerGrip Jaws' for about $150. Considering any two of those would cost that much, it sounds like a good deal. I don't have any of those jaws yet and may just order the set as a late Birthday present to myself. My wife refuses to buy me any tools - she is afraid she would get the wrong thing, and history has proven that to be pretty much true. She is OK with me spending pretty much whatever since I finance her crafts...

John Keeton
10-03-2015, 8:27 AM
I have a 1642, five SN2 chucks, and an old SN with soft jaws on it. Honestly, while I own larger jaws, I have never used anything larger than the 50mm jaws. But, I will add that I am cautious about technique and using either tailstock support or a steady whenever I can.

Steve Huffman
10-03-2015, 8:42 AM
I too have the Jet 1642 and went to the SN2. Can't comment either way on Titan, but I did recently buy the 100mm jaws for the SN2 and did some walnut coring on bowls with great success and no issues.

Dan Masshardt
10-03-2015, 8:56 AM
Thanks guys. I think you've told me what I need to know.

I will get a SN2.

I do want some larger jaws - not only for larger tenons but for recesses for platters for an aesthetic end. I'd definately be interested in buying a set or 4" jaws if anyone has a set they don't need.

John Keeton
10-03-2015, 9:29 AM
If I intended to core, then I definitely would use larger jaws. Regarding recesses for platters, it is easy to put a decorative 2.25" recess within a larger foot or base that is functional and yet hardly identifiable as a chuck recess. Just a thought for you.

Michael Mills
10-03-2015, 10:02 AM
When I purchased larger jaws for my SN2 I went for the Powergrips rather than the 100mm bowl jaws. For just a few $$ more I have them if I need them. No problem with the work extended; about the same as their extended jaws or the Pin vs 25mm or 45mm spigot vs 50mm bowl.
They are showing out of stock right now but you may want to call ToolsPlus to see when they expect more SN2 "body kit only" (body, screws, T handle) for $129. Another $60 for the Powergrip jaws would put you about $50 less than the Titan.

http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-chucks.html

Dan Masshardt
10-03-2015, 10:47 AM
When I purchased larger jaws for my SN2 I went for the Powergrips rather than the 100mm bowl jaws. For just a few $$ more I have them if I need them. No problem with the work extended; about the same as their extended jaws or the Pin vs 25mm or 45mm spigot vs 50mm bowl. They are showing out of stock right now but you may want to call ToolsPlus to see when they expect more SN2 "body kit only" (body, screws, T handle) for $129. Another $60 for the Powergrip jaws would put you about $50 less than the Titan. http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-chucks.html

I just ordered the reg SN2 from them. I'll give some thought to which jaws.

Thanks everyone.

Dane Riley
10-04-2015, 2:01 PM
I use the powergrip jaws more than the rest of them put together.

I am missing jaws for anything from ~1.5" to 2". They don't seem to make anything that covers that range.

John Grace
10-04-2015, 2:23 PM
I have three SN2's and love how they work and function. As you know doubt have figured out, there's as many techniques associated with the various chucks as there are jaws and we all develop our 'go to' kind of style. My preferred set-up is to use my SN2 with the 'power grip' jaws as I use beefy poplar glue blocks on the backs of all but my smallest bowl/plate pieces. I like the deep grip and strength of the power grip jaws and have never had anything come off on me. Once completed, I reverse chuck the piece with my cole jaws and a 'press' from the tailstock if necessary and turn away and finish the bottom of the piece. My 2 cents...

Michael Mills
10-04-2015, 5:03 PM
I am missing jaws for anything from ~1.5" to 2". They don't seem to make anything that covers that range.

I don't know if you are looking for that size for tenon/spigot mount or for recess mount.
Bowl jaws are sized by the exterior, spigot jaws are sized by the interior.
For recess the 35mm bowl should fit the need nicely. Expand from about 1-3/8 out to 2"
For tenon/spigot mount the 35mm spigot jaws may be the ticket. Contract from about 2" down to 1-3/8"