PDA

View Full Version : Shop time

Jason Morgan
08-26-2005, 10:20 PM
I know this should probably be a poll, but how much time do you all average in the shop each week?

For me, I guess I average about 3-4 hours per week. I would always like more, but with three little girls, we are pretty busy.

Joe Blankshain
08-26-2005, 10:23 PM
I get between 8 and 15 hours a week mainly due to the fact that my shop is behind my office. As I get angered, back to the shop I go for some smells of fresh cut wood and fine finish. It works every time. Also, on Saturday's my wife sends me to the shop for some rest, I am not sure if it is for her or me.

Bernie Weishapl
08-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Jason I average about 14 to 18 hrs. per week in mine in the summer (honey do's and yard work.) Winter time I average a few more. Kids are gone so have a little more time to work.

Bernie

Corey Hallagan
08-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Just depends really. I spend alot of time in the evenings just puttering around, not really doing anything since I reorganized my shop. I do alot of reading and planning of projects out there. Since I am in the middle of remodelling the house not alot of project time is spent in the shop. I can't wait for my actual rmodelling to be done so I can at least spend some saturday and sundays making some clocks etc. The shop cabinet project has been my biggest project recently.

Corey

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Hidden benefit of a night job...I'll be in the shop anywhere from 4-6 hours a day 5 days a week, and 8-10 hours on one of my 'days' off. Seventh day is for whatever LOML wants to do, but if I need a couple hours on that day, we'll schedule around it. :D

Some folks are simply unable to sleep during the day...but for those that can, I highly recommend the night shift.

KC

Dale Rodabaugh
08-27-2005, 7:18 AM
No thanks on the night shift.I worked a rotating shift for 20 years.A real bummer.I am retired now,and just quit a part time job.I plan on spending about 20 to 30 hrs. a week in the shop.Course my shop consists of a woodworking shop,plus a bigger section where I work on my old pickup trucks.A 1955,and 1972 Chevy.I get a lot more relaxation working in the woodshop.

Mike Cutler
08-27-2005, 7:30 AM
Kinda depends on the project at hand. Lately I've been spending a lot of time in the shop. A few hours each nite, and all day Sat& Sun. Once the project is done the time will cut back tho', it's been sort of like a second job. I know it's a sin to say it, but I'll be sorta glad when I'm spending a lot less time in there, for a short while that is. ;)

Bart Leetch
08-27-2005, 7:38 AM
This week I got about 8 hours in the shop. :D

Help the spinny thing has almost consumed me. :eek:

Steve Rowe
08-27-2005, 7:45 AM
I usually get 12 - 16 hours per week but lately that has been almost nothing due to no air conditioning. With the wind chill factors in Arkansas being 105, it is much too cold to be working in un-airconditioned spaces.:D

Steve

Jim Dunn
08-27-2005, 8:13 AM
About 6hrs, course I've got a television and the Cardinals were on and I watched most of the game. Make that 2hrs:)

Jim Becker
08-27-2005, 8:29 AM
My preference is 8 hours or so, but unfortunately, today will be the first I get in there in two months. Life happens...

JayStPeter
08-27-2005, 9:01 AM
On average I'd say 3 or 4 hrs. But, some weeks can be 20 and many others zero. It also seems that a home improvement project will zero out my shop time for a few months each year.

Jay

Jason Morgan
08-27-2005, 9:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Quite a range of responses. I was most curious as to how so many of you make so many wonderful projects in what seems to be a short amount of time. It takes me forever to get somthing done.

I thought again about how much shop time I get and its more like 8-12 hours per week. I'll spend 2-3 hours down there (basement shop) 2-3 nights per week and 2-4 hours in there on the weekends.

Jason Morgan
08-27-2005, 9:13 AM
Corey,

You live in Council Bluffs, I am originally from Nebraska. ( Go Huskers!, I like the Huskers, but as a present or past resident of the state I am required by law to say "Go Huskers" every time I mention the state.:D) My folks live in Auburn Ne, about an hour south of you. I am originally from Chadron, about 8 hours west of you.

Steve Ash
08-27-2005, 9:47 AM
I'd agree with Mike Cutler, myself and fellow creeker (Keith July)were putting in 40-60 hours a week building a bar for the local American Legion that took us 2 months to complete. Once that got done I might be spending a couple of hours a day in the shop. So for me it depends on the job that I'm doing at the time.

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2005, 9:47 AM
Jim, we would get along alright. You are a nascar fan, I have been a nascar fan since way back in the 60's when I first saw King Richard in his Petty Blue Plymouth Belvedere. Back then you were lucky to see 3 races each summer. And heck your a Redbird fan as well, can't be bad at all!

Jason, Chadron is a long long haul out there!!! Go Huskers.... not a huge fan but I am enjoying seeing how Coach Bill can rebuild and bring them back. Take care!

Corey

Byron Trantham
08-27-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm retired so I get to spend what ever time I want. Usually I spend 30-40 hours a week in shop. I seem to alway have a project in the works.

John Renzetti
08-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Sometimes, (and these times are getting fewer) I'll get no time in the shop during the week. Depends on the type of flight schedule. I do try for at least 3-4hrs/wk. This week since I've been off has been real good.
take care,
John

Jason Solodow
08-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Shop time for me depends on the week and my full time job (I'm one of those people where my full time job supports my woodworking habit). Last week I got four hours in the shop, this coming week it will probably be about 12.. I'd say I average 10 hours a week.. I really wish it was more though.

Bob Noles
08-27-2005, 12:49 PM
I do good to average 4-6 hours per week in total. Like everyone else says.... life if full of many and various priorties :rolleyes:

Charles Bruno
08-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Hello Dale how is 'bula' today I hear its been nice and warm.

Ian Barley
08-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Summer - about 70 hours a week. Winter - about 60 hours a week. :)

Jerry Olexa
08-27-2005, 5:24 PM
Would love to see a poll on this....Should be interesting! My time varies greatly between summer and winter!!

Tom Hamilton
08-27-2005, 8:51 PM
It seems like the little bits are the norm.
I get an hour here, 30 min there, sometimes 90 mins and then the project is finished. I have put a second coat of finish on while the coffee is making at 6AM, get a half hour after a workout, and another hour later the same day before dinner.

It is funny how it works with all the other activities.

Rarely, unless I declare a "road trip" day, do a get a full day in the shop.

Good question, TJH

Eddie Watkins
08-27-2005, 9:45 PM
I get to do about 3 hours /day a couple times a week and try to do a half day on weekends. I'd say 10 hours a week. If I get started on a project I may spend 4 hours each evening thru the week and all day Saturday and a half day Sunday. Thats about 30 hours. In the summer I mow Thursday nightso that cuts inoto shop time.