PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric Lever Clamp

Bill Adamsen
10-01-2015, 10:14 PM
I happened to see this on Ebay and realized it would be very useful if I could buy these aftermarket somewhere. Probably cheaper to simply buy this package on Ebay. Does anyone know a source of an eccentric lever clamp like this?

David Hawxhurst
10-02-2015, 9:58 AM
felder sells one that looks a lot like that one. think minimax sells them as well. have seen them some where else to but can't remember where. most the ones i've seen are around $75+ new.

Bill Adamsen
10-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Thanks David ... looking for the Felder it looks like everything they have has gone pneumatic. A quick search shows destaco type lever and pneumatic clamps. I already have the pneumatic switches on this tool for another clamping system, and while (being old school) I like the manual systems, it is hard to beat the price on the pneumatic.

David Hawxhurst
10-02-2015, 6:46 PM
found the felder one (http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/en-US/Sawing/Accessories/Spann-und-Klemm-einrichtungen/Eccentric-clamp.html?listtype=search&searchparam=clamp) and its a lot more pricey than i thought it was.

ian maybury
10-02-2015, 7:38 PM
That type of clamp needs a T rather than a plain slot. (just in case)

The Felder one is built like a tank - to the point where a bit of care may be needed not to overdo the tightening as it seems possible that misuse could damage a slider T slot. I have one and tend to keep it for the F3 shaper, and run DIY modified F clamps as in the pics below on the saw. (i've posted them before a couple of times)

The latter are very convenient, the only real issue i run into at times (easily overcome using a bridging piece and a packer etc) is that the bar on the (also modified) Incra mitre gauge fills the T slot for some distance ahead of the fence (been meaning to shorten it for about two years now) and prevents the clamp being moved right up tight to it for cross cutting small stock. I run with the big base lock nut finger tight, it can be backed off a hair and permits swinging the clamp arm in a circle to reach to either side of the T slot, or in the opposite direction. The mounting block is fabric reinforced phenolic - it works fine, but aluminium would be stronger if you like to do them up really tight and/or decide to use a long reach clamp.

The long block spreads the load over a decent length of the T slot, shortening it a hair to the working side of the clamp would also increase the reach a little. A screwdriver handled ball driver makes access to loosen and tigthten the cap head screws very convenient since it works at a decent angle. Saws don't normally seem to need tight clamping anyway.

I'm actually not too sure (?) what the pneumatic variety of clamp buys. It'd deliver fast clamping in a semi production type scenario, but i'm inclined to feel that it's hard to beat the flexibility, feel and instant availability of a manual system. There's no switching on compressors and waiting for them to come up to pressure, getting air hoses out of the way and the like too.

322676 322677 322678

Bill Neely
10-03-2015, 2:43 AM
That eccentric clamp looks nearly identical to the one that came with my Laguna TSS. Heavy booger.

Ian, I cut the heads off a couple of quick grip clamps and welded bar stock to fit the slider slots in place of the heads - works great.

ian maybury
10-03-2015, 6:40 AM
The Irvine quick clamps seem to be a good basis for an easily made set up Bill. Having seen them used I thought of them, but had no hands on experience at the time and chickened out...