PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Human Tricks?

Frederick Skelly
10-01-2015, 9:57 PM
You know when one's about to happen, because you hear "Hey man. Check this out", or (down South) "Hey yawl, watch this!"

My favorite was the two guys who got drunk in some podunk town and decided to "play catch" with a live rattlesnake. That worked out rather poorly. I think it made the Darwin Awards, in addition to my local newspaper.

What's YOUR favorite Stupid Human Trick?

Greg R Bradley
10-01-2015, 10:59 PM
There are about 5 fatal snake bits in the US each year. Here is the description of a couple in the last few years:
1. Coots was bitten on the right hand during a service at his Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name church in Middlesboro, Kentucky (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesboro,_Kentucky). After the bite, Coots dropped the snakes, but then picked them back up and continued the ceremony. Later, he was driven to his home. When paramedics arrived, his relatives refused medical treatment for him, saying it was inconsistent with his religion. He died at home.
2. Wolford was bitten on the thigh while handling a timber rattlesnake as part of an outdoor religious service at Panther State Forest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_Wildlife_Management_Area) in McDowell County, West Virginia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDowell_County,_West_Virginia). Wolford did not initially seek medical treatment for his injury, but was taken to Bluefield Regional Medical Center when his condition began to deteriorate some eight hours later.Wolford was a pastor and often handled his pet snake during church services. Wolford's father, Mack Wolford, died in 1983 under similar circumstances.
3. Thompson was found unresponsive in his car in a North Austin Lowes store parking lot. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. A Monocled Cobra that he was known to own was missing and was later found dead nearby having been run over by a car.

Most people bitten by poisonous snakes in the US are PLAYING with the snake when bitten.

Joe Kieve
10-02-2015, 8:30 AM
Check out Darwin Awards for more who have been removed from the "gene pool".

http://darwinawards.com/

Bert Kemp
10-02-2015, 9:03 AM
The idiot in TX who put a fireworks mortar on his head and lit the fuse.:(Like the saying goes you can't fix stupid.

Ian Moone
10-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Worlds fastest log splitter (chopper)!

This would have to go close and is a great reminder that "They walk among us!".

http://tractorvideos.net/worlds-fastest-log-splitter-epic-fails-compilation-and-injuries-2/

Daniel Boone would be so proud!. :D

Lee Schierer
10-02-2015, 1:17 PM
Worlds fastest log splitter (chopper)!

This would have to go close and is a great reminder that "They walk among us!".

http://tractorvideos.net/worlds-fastest-log-splitter-epic-fails-compilation-and-injuries-2/

Daniel Boone would be so proud!. :D

You would think after the first one came back at him he would have learned that his invention had a pretty significant flaw.

I saw a log splitter made by a friend that now lives in Oregon that would split logs into four chunks with each pass.

julian abram
10-02-2015, 9:33 PM
worlds fastest log splitter (chopper)!

This would have to go close and is a great reminder that "they walk among us!".

daniel boone would be so proud!. :d

"not OSHA approved!"

Julie Moriarty
10-03-2015, 8:57 AM
I was sent to another jobsite to help the foreman finish up some last things to close out the work. This foreman was legend for some of the stupid things he did.

I arrived first thing the next day and he told me, "We have to pull some cables in back." We went out to the back of the building and I saw a transformer with the lug cabinet door open. The cabinet was about 5' tall by 3' wide by about 30" deep. There were two 4" pipes going down into the ground. He pointed to a meter cabinet about 25' away and said, "We have to feed that cabinet," where the two pipes came out of the ground and into the cabinet.

When I got on the job, I had seen a gang box with an electric cable puller (tugger), rope and cable cutters. So I said, "I'll set up the tugger." Work smart, not hard.

"No need. We're going to push it."

I had seen this attempted before and it usually failed. As soon as you hit the second 900 bend, it stops. So I asked, just to make sure, "We're going to push (4) 500s through two 900s?" 500MCM is about the diameter of a large broom handle and it doesn't like to bend. The interior of rigid pipe is about as smooth as 180 grit sandpaper, maybe 240.

"Don't worry," he said, "We'll soap it up real good."

We got through the first 900 okay but as soon as we hit the second one it stopped dead. After over an hour with no progress, and me saying, "We could use the tugger," :rolleyes: the foreman said, "I'll run to the job down the street and get some help."

While he was gone, I set up the tugger for the second run, pulled in the rope, pulled four cables off the reel to length, stripped one end of each, served the cables on eye of the rope, taped the ends and waited for the foreman to show up. He arrived about 20 minutes after I was done. When he got there he looked at the 2nd run all set up to be pulled in with the tugger and was not happy. I said, "I was just trying to keep busy." Then he shook his head in disappointment and introduced me to the first year apprentice he picked up from the other job.

We tried a number of things on the first run and nothing worked. The third person made little difference because we couldn't all get a good grip because the cabinet was too small. Then I came up with an idea to use a piece of pipe as a lever. I experimented a bit but found a problem with the lever, the lip at the back of the cabinet we were leveraging from was very thin. The pipe could slip off it very easily. This made me nervous and I told the foreman, "This could be dangerous." I again suggested we just pull the cable back out and pull it in with the tugger. The foreman would have none of it. He wanted to try the lever.

So the three of us, and the lever, gave a heave ho and the cable moved. The foreman was excited. We inched the cable in little by little when suddenly the pipe slipped. The apprentice fell back. I turned to see him holding his head and saw blood gushing out through his fingers. In the other hand he held his bent glasses, one lens shattered. The foreman saw this and frustratingly yelled, "WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN ON MY JOBS?!?!?"

He took the apprentice to a nearby clinic where he got stitched up. When they came back, his head was bandaged and he was wearing his broken glasses. Fortunately for us, the cable was far enough through the pipe I was able to snag it from the other end and we finally got it through. The day was almost over and the foreman suggested we come back tomorrow and finish. I said, "It will only take us 10 minutes to pull the other run in. It's all set up." He grudgingly agreed.

I was wrong about the time. It took us 5 minutes.

Years later I ran into the apprentice, now working as an estimator in the office. We reminisced about the fiasco and he said, "I still have the scar," and pointed to it, just above his eyebrow. Then he told me the foreman was still running jobs and hasn't changed a bit.

Jerome Stanek
10-03-2015, 10:27 AM
I was working at a job site that had temporary electric cables that ran along the ground in Dec and the girl electrician came to pull them up but they were frozen in about a week later her boss came to pull them and it had warmed up and was raining. We were taking a break and so we watched him grab one end and gave it a big yank and he went fell back into a big pile of mud and rolled into some water. It was one of the funniest things we ever saw. good thing he was a good sport about it.

w

Mark Walden
10-03-2015, 11:24 PM
The first thing they do is set down the beer, and then say HEY WATCH THIS. That is where the problem starts.