PDA

View Full Version : Slotting a dowel rod

Jim Dunn
08-26-2005, 7:38 PM
What is the easiest, make that the safest, way to slot a dowel? I don't want to cut it in half as I don't have a band saw. The dowel is 1/2" in diameter and I want to cut a slot 1/3 of the way thru it and slide the slot over a 1/8" piece of plywood.

Just not sure if I can do it with out some sort of jig?

Phil Phelps
08-26-2005, 7:43 PM
and run it through your table saw.

Jim Dunn
08-26-2005, 7:44 PM
Phil how would I hold on to it? I guess I could just put my push plate on it and hope it don't try to rotate?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2005, 7:52 PM
Jim....do you want the slot in the end of the dowel or in the side of the dowel?

If you want it in the end of the dowel....clamp, nail or screw it to a piece of wood and adjust the blade height on your tablesaw to the depth you want the slot. Using your miter gauge, push the piece of wood and the attached dowel through the blade.

If you want the slot in the side of dowel, adjust the blade on your table saw to the depth of the slot and use your miter gauge to push it through the blade.

Frank Guerin
08-26-2005, 8:04 PM
V block.

Now I am lengthening my message to ten charactors because the software would not let me post without the ten characters and I still can't spell charactors.

Jim Dunn
08-26-2005, 8:05 PM
I got it done. I wanted the slot to run the length of the dowel. So I set the fence so the center of the dowel was centered over the blade. Raised the blade up and ran the dowel, length wise, down the blade. Slot wasn't quite wide enough for glue up so I ran it down the blade by turning it around. Was concerned that the dowel would corkscrew on the blade, but it didn't.

Thanks for the replies.

JIm

Tim Sproul
08-26-2005, 8:06 PM
I'd make a 1/2 inch square blank. slot where you want. Mill into a dowel using a 1/4 inch radius roundover and a couple featherboards at the cutter.

Jim Dunn
08-26-2005, 8:06 PM
Frank, I've got a set of v blocks, but their metal/tool steel. I think I'll keep them off the saw till it's time to buy a new saw:)

Steve Clardy
08-26-2005, 8:22 PM
V block.

Now I am lengthening my message to ten charactors because the software would not let me post without the ten characters and I still can't spell charactors.

Boy. I hate that ten characters also. Sometimes I don't have ten letters to say.:rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
08-26-2005, 8:23 PM
Well I was going to say tablesaw, but you got er done already.