PDA

View Full Version : which halotron extinguisher would be best?

Tim Tracy
10-01-2015, 2:26 PM
hi! so my wife and i just leased a Epilog Mini 24 50w which is due to ship next week! We are going to be operating it out of our spare bathroom and are in the process of getting everything laser ready.

Can anyone recommend which size halotron extinguisher would be good for this size/power laser? We had been reading the halotron extinguishers will do the least damage to the laser, should it need to be used. They are more expensive and we don't want to purchase something bigger than needed. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I had also been reading on here some people have a second backup extinguisher (non-halotron) should the halotron not complete the job. Is this the norm? Also what type would you recommend as a backup?

Thanks!

Dave Sheldrake
10-01-2015, 2:57 PM
We are going to be operating it out of our spare bathroom

Really not the best place to be running electrical equipment, over here in the UK even having mains plug sockets installed in a bathroom is illegal let alone running anything electrical in there.

should the halotron not complete the job.

If a good sized Halotron is used and the fire isn't out....."you should be running"

Bert Kemp
10-01-2015, 4:27 PM
The laser in cutting mode should be watched 100% of the time should a fire start while your watching it a spray bottle of water should be enough to put out a small fire. Just open lid and a quick spray or two should do the trick. wipe off any over spray and if water got on any metal parts, wipe off and put some oil on them.The halotron would be my back up to the spray bottle. then like Dave said if the halotron doesn't do it run.
Seriously if your watching the cutting like you should be you cn take care of any flare ups with a spray bottle. Nothing is a better safe guard against fire then watching your machine.NOTHING, if rastering then fire is not a big worry.The other big safe guard is getting your cut setting right. Running to much power at to slow speeds is one of the biggest reasons fires start and the biggest reason they get going is because YOUR NOT WATCHING!!:eek:

Mark Sipes
10-01-2015, 4:47 PM
Keep rags and paper out of the laser chamber. Never had plastics or metal flame up to a fire. Even Wood has just been smoke... Ditto on watching the cutting phase. Unless the lease requires an expensive Halon Extinguisher... the spray bottle is more than enough..

Keith Winter
10-01-2015, 4:59 PM
I have a 5lb Halotron in the engraving room. I also have a fire blanket close to the laser. This one: http://www.amazon.com/MICHIGAN-FIRST-AID-Emergency-Blanket/dp/B001B9RNMC

Rules are use the fire blanket unless it's too big then the extinguisher if that doesn't work. Spray bottle might also be nice for tiny stuff as others have suggested. I never have had a fire, but I figure if I did, a 2lb might not be enough and if a fire blanket AND 5lb extinguisher cannot put it out I have bigger troubles.

Tim Tracy
10-01-2015, 5:41 PM
Thanks for all of your input, guys! We definitely know to never take our eyes off the machine while cutting (with eye protection, of course!).

Sounds like the combination of eagle eyes, a squirt bottle and fire blanket should probably do the trick.

Tim

David Somers
10-01-2015, 5:47 PM
Tim,

Not sure what extinguisher costs are like in your area, but when I looked here in Seattle Halon was much pricier than Co2 Extinguishers. As I checked with extinquisher services I found a used but current CO2 extinguisher in great shape that helped even more with cost. 5lb. Co2 doesnt leave any residue so it also a good choice on a laser if your water sprayer fails. Not sure if that helps. Either way....as everyone has said....vigilance is key along with your spray bottle and an extinguisher for back up. After that run and dial 911. With vigilance though you will never reach that point.

Glen Monaghan
10-01-2015, 8:08 PM
Yep, I have a water spray bottle sitting right on the laser stand, and a 35 pound CO2 extinguisher an arm's length away in case a couple pumps of the spray bottle won't do the job. Big extinguishers like that need to be secured in place with a proper quick release because you really don't want to knock one over and damage it, especially not to rupture the thing, but you don't want to be fumbling and struggling to detach it from the mount in time of need... Never thought of a fire blanket but that seems like an excellent idea too.

Dan Hintz
10-02-2015, 7:53 AM
We definitely know to never take our eyes off the machine while cutting (with eye protection, of course!).

Unless you've defeated the interlocks and are cutting with the lid open, there's no need for eye protection...