PDA

View Full Version : Leecraft Zero Clearance insert or homemade?

Mike Dowell
10-01-2015, 11:36 AM
I was thinking of getting a Leecraft insert for my PM2000 but before I do, I wanted to check in here and make sure I'm not "being had by marketing". Those inserts seem nice, but is it foolish to buy this when I can easily just make one myself? I do like that the leecraft has the height screws, and I suppose I could just add those to any insert I made myself. I'm also thinking, I would need one for a dado, one for regular cuts, and then one for angled cuts, so maybe it's more intelligent to make my own...

Thoughts?

Larry Browning
10-01-2015, 12:15 PM
I have one ZC insert that came with the saw that works fine for my 1/8" kerf blades. All the others I have are homemade from 1/2" baltic birch plywood. They work quite well too. Of course if your time is more valuable to you than mine is, or you don't enjoy making you own stuff like this, then you should buy one.

Charles Taylor
10-01-2015, 1:00 PM
Same answer from me. I have one commercially-made ZCI that I like and use regularly, and others that I've made myself as I needed them.

As Larry says, it comes down to money vs. time vs. enjoyment. This is a hobby for me, so I'm inclined to take the time to make them myself.

Mike Schuch
10-01-2015, 2:46 PM
I always make my own with a bandsaw and a flush cut bit in the router. I made a half dozen inserts years ago and haven't had to make any more since.

Mike Cutler
10-01-2015, 3:00 PM
Mike

I make them purpose specific when I need them.
I do however, have three LeeCraft ZCI's, and don't regret buying them one bit. They are a very well made product.

Mike Dowell
10-01-2015, 3:03 PM
Sounds good. I guess I'll just buy one from Leecraft, and as I need others, I suppose I'll just make em. For $37, I guess I'd rather save the time for my main, all purpose insert.

Thanks!

Mike Cutler
10-01-2015, 3:08 PM
Mike

I have for ripping, one for crosscut, and the third was
Bought for a box joint project I did.
Very clean cuts.
I don't have as much time as I used too.

Davis Young
10-01-2015, 4:36 PM
One time while making my own, all I had was some mdf that was a little thicker than I needed. Planing it was not an option so after shaping the blanks, I rabbeted the two sides so that the insert sat on the tabs at the correct height. The bonus was that I did not need leveling screws at all. The insert always sat true. And since I rabbeted on the router table, I can just move the fence over to relieve the bottom of the insert for the blade so that the insert sits flat for that initial cut.

Lee Schierer
10-01-2015, 7:36 PM
I had a friend make me this one from aluminum. I can make the wood insert from any hard wood so changing them for specific blades is really easy.

Bruce Wrenn
10-01-2015, 8:14 PM
I'm in the "I make my own" group. Use 1/2" MDF, with leveling screws and tension screws to eliminate any side to side play. Use a shop made jig to cut original slot, as saw blade doesn't lower enough. Also use same jig to elongate slot for riving knife / splitter.

glenn bradley
10-01-2015, 8:22 PM
When I make them I do a half dozen of so at a time. The setup takes a little time so why not use it more than once ;-)

mark kosse
10-01-2015, 10:17 PM
I don't know if they're of much less quality but mlcs sells some for about 15.00, shipped, and made in USA.

that being said, I make my own. It helps if you have Bb in stock.

and one more thing. You have to rout an edge in .5 Bb for the 66. Not so for a uni.