PDA

View Full Version : A Shop with a Wow Factor of another kind!

Bob Marino
08-26-2005, 5:47 PM
Finally, after living with the disorganization and mess for too long, I decided to try and establish a semblace of order to my shop/garage. The garage is 25' x 17', unheated, unisulated, poorly organized; in no way conducive to woodworking. Not too many options as I would like, since there is no space to widen the garage. Adding a full second story would be extremely expensive and add to even higher taxes than the taxes that I am paying in Glen Ridge, NJ. Yes, I know the driveway looks like it belongs in Apalachia, but this is only temporary.
Stage one is where I am at - getting the "stuff" out of the garage, taking down the old plywood shelves. This is probably the messiest part of the redo. Everything is all over the place - need to get this done before the new pavers are going in in the driveway next month. I also never realized how much stuff/things can be accumulated if you aren't on top of it often and be quite ruthless in getting rid of it.
Luckily for me, our own Per S lives not too far away and is doing the real work. He installed the 2x 10's, plywood floor and cross braces, window and door.
In the next couple of weeks, I hope to have new lights, trim around the window and door, 60 amp service, insulation. After that, some type of heat/ac (still have not decided) new walls (maybe slatboard or T-111). Flooring wil be either epoxy of those interlocking rubber tiles. So much to do, so little time.
Here's some pics of the mess...er, shop.

Bob

Richard Wolf
08-26-2005, 5:58 PM
Nice start on the shop. If Per did the work, does that mean there is a bar included?

Richard

Roger Barga
08-26-2005, 6:03 PM
Hi Bob,

I am going through a similar process right now and feel your pain. My garage is about the same size as yours, unfinished, uninsulated with a single 110 line for power. The electrician is over right now finishing the installation of a 60 amp subpanel, after which I will get some insulation and drywall installed. I'm looking forward to working out in my garage this winter without freezing my tail off. Keep us posted as you make progress.

Cheers, Roger

ps - you trying to hide that gorgeous bandsaw from us?

Jim Becker
08-26-2005, 6:09 PM
Great start, Bob! I know you've been looking forward to this project!! ;)

Bob Marino
08-26-2005, 6:45 PM
Richard - A bar? Ask Per :D

Roger - Yep, more work than I had thought! That's an Agazzani 20" bs - sold my Dewalt ts and between the Agazzani and the ATF's, I think I am covered.

Jim - This is waaaaaaaaay overdue.

Bob

Jim Dunn
08-26-2005, 7:44 PM
Did Per bring his gameboy with him?? Don't pay him for playing. Course, it looks like he's been working hard on that job. Oh and make room for a big screen in there some where:)

Per Swenson
08-26-2005, 8:00 PM
Jim,

Thanks for reminding me.

Bob, pick up 200 feet of Monster speaker wire,

and a box of coax.

Per

Peter Pedisich
08-26-2005, 9:03 PM
Bob,

That's looking great! I'd like to know the wall board type you settle on. I'm insulating my garage and can't decide between mdf type slatwall, 1/2" drywall, 5/8" ply or 5/8" t-111 painted white.

Does anyone know of code problems with electrical boxes and plywood for wall board material? Or is it ok?, I mean they put boxes in base board, right?

You're also doing it the right way, before the cold weather hits!;)

Pete

Bob Marino
08-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Bob,

That's looking great! I'd like to know the wall board type you settle on. I'm insulating my garage and can't decide between mdf type slatwall, 1/2" drywall, 5/8" ply or 5/8" t-111 painted white.

Does anyone know of code problems with electrical boxes and plywood for wall board material? Or is it ok?, I mean they put boxes in base board, right?

You're also doing it the right way, before the cold weather hits!;)

Pete

Pete,

At this time, I honestly don't know.I was goung to run a cleat along the walls and hang any cabinet with the French cleat. I am not sure about the strength of Slatboard - but it's smoooooooooth. I have to get this done now for more reasons than one. The entire area will be paved and I don't want those heavy lumber and other trucks getting to the pavers. Besides, if paint gets on the asphalt, no big deal. It's coming into cooler weather and around here turns into cold and freezing weather. So the shop has to be fairly along for the heat to be installed. Bad enough when I am by myself, but very tough to demo the tools for othersnwhen they are hanging on to their earmuffs :eek: .

Bob

Corey Hallagan
08-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Bob, you will be much happier and soon. Will you have to share the space with vehicles or is it going to be a dedicated shop? If dedicated, very cool! I envy you. Even though my shop is miniscule compared to yours, an organized shop makes any space more efficient and enjoyable. Congrats and good luck. Soon will be the day you can sit back and say.... whew... look what I did.

Corey

Chris Padilla
08-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Looks good, Mr. Festool! Oh, and I know the feeling of the garage mess oh too well.... I'm only in month 15 of redoing mine...god my wife is a wonderful woman! :D

Jason Tuinstra
08-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Bob, you've started! That's the biggest challenge, right? Good for you. I'm sure you'll have that place up and running before too long. Be sure to keep us up to date.

Jim Fancher
08-27-2005, 1:53 AM
Finally, after living with the disorganization and mess for too long, I decided to try and establish a semblace of order to my shop/garage.

Congrats on getting started! Keep the pics and details coming.

Dan Forman
08-27-2005, 2:38 AM
Looks like a serious rehab project! It may be a mess now, but you will be very happy soon.

Dan

Bob Marino
08-27-2005, 4:57 AM
Bob, you will be much happier and soon. Will you have to share the space with vehicles or is it going to be a dedicated shop? If dedicated, very cool! I envy you. Even though my shop is miniscule compared to yours, an organized shop makes any space more efficient and enjoyable. Congrats and good luck. Soon will be the day you can sit back and say.... whew... look what I did.

Corey

I wish it could be a shop only, but I will have to share. Problem is, there is no room to build a decent size shed, so I will build a long, narrow one running along my fence in the driveway. for garden tools, bicylces, etc. I intend to have one large set of steel ( probably) shelves for othe non-tool items, this will be on wheels. Actually, all the tools will be on mobile bases - they need to be with a shop this small.

Chris - "Mr. Festool" ? Who me? ;)
The shop will be more along a "Euro-Shop" model and will also serve as some type of demo area for the tools. 15 MONTHS :eek: - but I am sure you are doing way more work than me.

Jason, Jim, Dan - Thanks for the encouragment, but in the scheme of things, this should go fast. I really think the two toughest things are just going ahead and actually starting the project and the other is sifting through the stuff and deciding what to keep and where to put it.

Bob

John Renzetti
08-27-2005, 5:54 AM
Hi Bob, Looks like you have a great project on your hands. Will there be an open house/house warming when it is finished?
take care,
John

Alan Turner
08-27-2005, 6:59 AM
Coming along nicely, Bob. Congrats. I bet you are showing Per a thing or two, huh?

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2005, 9:52 AM
Bob, with no table saw in your shop that frees up some serious room.. they are such space hogs. I have the front portion of a 1 car garage which is very small space which is as wide as the garage and 9 foot deep. But it really works and all tools are mobile. Good luck!

Corey

Bob Marino
09-09-2005, 9:46 PM
Here's a bit of an update. The electrical service has been updated - plenty of new outlets - 110 and 220 - no more extension cords. The rough electtrical inspection has been done.
Due to a lapse in thinking, I placed a call to the town's Building Department to ask a question or two and the next thing I KNOW THE BUILDING INSPECTOR IS AT MY DOOR a few days later- "where's your permit?" :eek: :confused: :o :eek: "Er, you need a permit for this?" :rolleyes: Needless to say, the permit has been applied for and will await his "rough inspection" next week. If all goes well, sheetrock, painting and insulation wiil start next week. Framing is almost finished and spent some time residing one side with clapboards. Here's our own Mr. Swenson doing his thing.
Way more work than I had thought.

Andy Hoyt
09-09-2005, 9:58 PM
Bob - Looks great! And all too familiar looking. Been there and done that! But once those walls get closed in the real fun begins. Building stuff for the shop. When I did mine, the (as you guys say) LOML accused me of taking far too long at that stage. She was right, but I wouldn't admit it. Jeez, it was only a year.

Corey Hallagan
09-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Congrats Bob! Looking good! I know what you mean on the electrical when all of a sudden you can plug in anywhere you want and any tool you want without thinking about it! Just think on those hot days in the shop you can just run out that shop door and do a cannon ball into the pool! Whooppeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Corey

Steve Stube
09-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Do you think the CAMO siding will catch on?

Bob Marino
09-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Bob - Looks great! And all too familiar looking. Been there and done that! But once those walls get closed in the real fun begins. Building stuff for the shop. When I did mine, the (as you guys say) LOML accused me of taking far too long at that stage. She was right, but I wouldn't admit it. Jeez, it was only a year.

Andy,

This project was way overdue, but hopefullly within about a month, there should be something pretty close to a finished shop. Also, that concrete around the pool and driveway will soon be replaced with pavers. What complicates the issue is there ain't much space on my property for a decent size storage shed, so smaller ones will have to make do. Amazing how much stuff that gets accumuated in a few years.

Bob

Corey Hallagan
09-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Bob I take it Per is doing soffit(sp?) work since it looks like the sideing is getting ready to be painted?

Corey

Bob Marino
09-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Bob I take it Per is doing soffit(sp?) work since it looks like the sideing is getting ready to be painted?

Corey

Yep, the old one was just too far gone to be fixed.

Bob

Peter Pedisich
09-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Bob,

Looking good! Siding is real nice. Can't wait to hear about how the interior walls turn out, I'm gonna try to do my walls in 3 weeks!
As a color scheme may I suggest painting the clapboards a light gray and paint one of them about 1/3 of the way up a sort of intense lime green. If you are not sure of the colors I describe I could send you some paint chips.;)

Pete

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Good for you Bob! It looks like you've got a good start on your shop! Keep Per busy and remind him....no drinks before the work day is done!

Bob Marino
09-10-2005, 11:47 PM
And take a look at this mess:eek: - sill was pretty rotted out. Nothing like an 80 year old garage.:D

Bob

Norman Hitt
09-11-2005, 3:10 AM
Bob, that sure is a lot of water just for a small shop "Finishing Booth's Water Bath Filter". :D (And with a built in water filter too) :rolleyes: Looking Good. :)

I am curious about one thing, though, and that is why you mounted your outlets so close to the floor? I have mine all Marked, (yet to be installed), at 54" above the floor. My reasoning is that if I have a bare spot anywhere along a wall, "Murphy's Law", says there will undoubtably be something 48" tall leaned up against it, and right in front of the outlet I want to get to. Another thing, is that if there is a bench there, there is always something sitting on it, right in front of the outlet, so with the outlets mounted higher, I can reach over most things on the bench to get to the outlet, instead of having to move something, or reach behind it.

Note: This Reasoning may seem strange to most, But came from years of first hand Observation and useage in many different shops, with only a few, similar to that mentioned above. (Maybe I'm a little Strange...........but, so What)? :D (Did I say I HATE Bending Over Something to get to plugs)? :rolleyes:

Phil Maddox
09-11-2005, 6:36 AM
Bob, shop is looking great!!

I have a comment (I always have a comment) - On the second floor (attic?) it appears that someone has cut the 2x?? floor joists on an angle at the ends to match the slope of the roof. If I am seeing this correctly and no other support is installed, you have a greatly reduced load carrying member. In fact, for engineering purposes, if you have 6" of wood left where the 2x?? meets the wall (the point directly above where the joist is no longer supported by the wall) , then you have only the strength of the 6", not a 2x10 or whatever you installed.

Maybe I am seeing things incorrectly or you are going to add some sort of support, I don't know. I just wanted to make you aware of this if you hadn't caught it so that you don't overload the attic and have a nasty surprise later.

Good luck with the shop.

Phil

Frank Pellow
09-11-2005, 8:10 AM
I am curious about one thing, though, and that is why you mounted your outlets so close to the floor? I have mine all Marked, (yet to be installed), at 54" above the floor. My reasoning is that if I have a bare spot anywhere along a wall, "Murphy's Law", says there will undoubtably be something 48" tall leaned up against it, and right in front of the outlet I want to get to. Another thing, is that if there is a bench there, there is always something sitting on it, right in front of the outlet, so with the outlets mounted higher, I can reach over most things on the bench to get to the outlet, instead of having to move something, or reach behind it.

Note: This Reasoning may seem strange to most, But came from years of first hand Observation and useage in many different shops, with only a few, similar to that mentioned above. (Maybe I'm a little Strange...........but, so What)? :D (Did I say I HATE Bending Over Something to get to plugs)? :rolleyes:
Norm, the reasoning not at all strange. hen I built my shop, I recieved the same advice from several sources, I followed that advice, and I am very glad that I did so.

Frank Pellow
09-11-2005, 8:17 AM
Bob and Per, nice work on this project so far.

This thread got started when I was away at my cabin so I missed it. I am glad that the thread got bumped to the top again today . I enjoyed reading about the project and seeing how it is going and look forward to additional reports.

Per Swenson
09-11-2005, 9:54 AM
Hi Phil,

Yup you are seeing things incorrectly.

Yes they are two by tens cut to the slope of the roof,

but extended and nailed directly to the side of

the consecutive 2x4 rafters. Collar ties where then installed

2 foot from the peak. This effectively creates a manufactured truss

that I would be comfortable driving my F-350 on.

Per

Bob Marino
09-11-2005, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=Norman Hitt]Bob, that sure is a lot of water just for a small shop "Finishing Booth's Water Bath Filter". :D (And with a built in water filter too) :rolleyes: Looking Good. :)

Good point. All my tools/cabinets will be on mobile bases due to the size of the shop and I intend to put up slatboards on the walls. So I did not want to be putting outlets in the slatbaords, limiting my ability to put up shelves.
Bob

Phil Maddox
09-11-2005, 7:51 PM
Hi Phil,

Yup you are seeing things incorrectly.

Yes they are two by tens cut to the slope of the roof,

but extended and nailed directly to the side of

the consecutive 2x4 rafters. Collar ties where then installed

2 foot from the peak. This effectively creates a manufactured truss

that I would be comfortable driving my F-350 on.

Per

Per,
I didn't think it would be something that you'd miss. That should make a pretty strong attic deck. Will you have to have an engineer stamp it or will the building inspector approve it? Here in Baltimore, the inspector would take one look at it and say "I need a stamp". They want stamps for everything here.

The work looks great!!

Good luck

Phil

Per Swenson
09-11-2005, 9:17 PM
Phil.

No, no stamp.

It is a detached garage.

The attic space has only 3 feet of head room.

None of it is considered livable.

So there is no C/O

The deal is this, replacement construction.

Not new construction.

The other deal , it is one of those historical neighbor hoods.

So,even if you have 80 year old bad construction techniques.

You are stuck with them because Grandpa could build them cute.

Per