PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Do This?

Bill Adamsen
10-01-2015, 9:18 AM
I would like to paint this pattern (or something similar) on the transom of a small racing boat. In the past I've done this sort of thing by creating full sized masks, applying (light glue) them to a base-painted surface (white in this case) and spraying the mask. This might be problematic because of the intersecting cutouts. Are there better ways to accomplish?

Jamie Buxton
10-01-2015, 10:15 AM
You might look into vinyl car wrapping. This a technique in which a pattern is printed on to vinyl, and the whole sheet is adhered to the car. They do solid colors. They do patterns. They do signs and graphics. They wrap entire buses. On cars, it seems quite durable -- years and years of service.

Bill White
10-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Do you have to be sober when you do that? :)
Bill

Bill Adamsen
10-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Jamie, I looked at a few online sources for the "wrap" ... but the old-fashioned me really wants to paint the thing. I think I can make a full scale template for a transfer, and then cut out the "knockout" pieces and attach them to that template. If I can transfer them to the boat transom and get them to stick (but not too well) I'm in business. I'll let you know how it works.