PDA

View Full Version : inserts for face plates?

cody michael
10-01-2015, 9:16 AM
I have some face plates I believe from a pm90 lathe 1.5x8tpi , do they make an insert I could use them on my 1x8tpi lathe? Or am I better off trying to sell them and buy the correct size?

Belton Garvin
10-01-2015, 9:27 AM
They make spindle adapters for most of the common thread sizes. Should be able to find them at Penn State or Packard Woodworks relatively cheap.

cody michael
10-01-2015, 9:36 AM
Thanks, I found them, spindle adapter comes up with the correct results

William C Rogers
10-01-2015, 9:38 AM
Craft Supply has them.
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/112/5837/Turners-Select-Spindle-Adapter

David Walser
10-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Others have given you links to spindle adapter suppliers. Now that you've found them and know that's an option, I think your better option is to sell the face plates and buy ones that fit your lathe's spindle. Even very well made spindle adapters will introduce runout. It will also move your work farther from the headstock, introducing more vibration. For these reasons, using a spindle adapter should be the exception rather than the rule. Face plates are relatively inexpensive. You should own several.

cody michael
10-01-2015, 1:15 PM
ok, thanks I have them for sale, I will see if they sell, and buy new ones as my 1st plan

cody michael
10-01-2015, 6:54 PM
What is a good brand that is not to expensive for faceplates I don't use the one on my old lathe much but I do need it sometimes

Peter Fabricius
10-01-2015, 8:08 PM
Cody, I think you should buy a 1`x 8tpi tap so you can make glue blocks and have as many projects on the go at one time. If you have offcuts of any hardwood and about 2 inches thick you can make these for free...
Peter F.

Rick Gibson
10-05-2015, 8:22 PM
Cody, I think you should buy a 1`x 8tpi tap so you can make glue blocks and have as many projects on the go at one time. If you have offcuts of any hardwood and about 2 inches thick you can make these for free...
Peter F.

I'm with Peter on this. If you don't have 2" thick pieces you can always glue up some 1" or even 3/4" pieces and add screws if you don't trust the glue joint.