PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Miter Plane for Shooting?

Allan Speers
10-01-2015, 4:52 AM
Oh my !

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=73208&cat=51&ap=1

Has anyone gotten their hands on this puppy yet? The obvious question is, how does this compare to their dedicated shooting plane, as a general purpose shooter?

The price is almost the same. It seems to me that this plane would also work as a sort of "large block plane." Sadly, it doesn't have a skewed blade, though I guess a ramped shooting board would compensate for that. (How cool would it be to have a skewed-blade block plane?) The blade is only 2" wide, so you couldn't have much of a ramp, but it would still work.

One thing I don't like is that it wouldn't work with a guide rail, and that's something I'd like to have on my next shooting board.

Rollie Kelly
10-01-2015, 9:10 AM
I don't know about "how cool" it is , but it sure is nice.;)
Rollie

Stewie Simpson
10-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi Allan. I agree with you. A skewed blade would have been preferable option as it would force the shave in a downward direction. The downside is it could end up being more expensive, as you would most likely need to purchase a left and a right hand skew.

Stewie;

Pedro Reyes
10-01-2015, 11:00 AM
... though I guess a ramped shooting board would compensate for that. (How cool would it be to have a skewed-blade block plane?) ...

A ramped shooting board does not equate to a skewed blade.

The advantages of a ramped shooting board I see are:

The blade starts cutting at a point (a corner of the endgrain) which helps with that initial "shock".
The blade gets used over a wider area as opposed to just being used on what is effectively the thickness of the board (usually about 3/4").

A skewed blade lowers the cutting angle as well as provides a slicing cut, by having the edge skewed to the direction of travel. This is not what happens on a ramped shooting board, the edge is always perpendicular to the direction of travel.

Also, the LN140 has a skewed blade, and it is technically a block plane. They used to only make a RH version, which pulled you into a rabbet but in a shooting board would push the board up instead of down.

Pedro