PDA

View Full Version : Width of Boards for Honduran Mahogany Coffee Table

Jan Bianchi
09-30-2015, 10:39 PM
I am making a Greene and Greene inspired coffee table that is 24 inches wide out by 53 inches long of Honduran Mahogany. I have two, flat, 9 inch wide boards. In order to keep these wide boards from cupping, would it be better to rip those boards in half so that the top consists of six, 4- inch boards, or is Honduran mahogany stable enough not to have to do that?

Andrew Hughes
09-30-2015, 11:14 PM
Im thinking if you keep them at least 3/4 thick keep them wide,Honduras Mah is very stable.Unless the are showing some twist or are cupped across the width.Then it's anyone's guess hopefully you got some nice meaty pieces for your top.

David Eisenhauer
10-01-2015, 4:10 AM
Breadboard ends are one way to deal with any movement, but I don't remember if breadboard ends are a G&G design feature. Mahogany is pretty stable as Andrew said, easy to work with too. Finish applied to all surfaces and keeping the table in a climate-controlled house knocks out lots of movement as well.

Frederick Skelly
10-01-2015, 6:48 AM
Jan, I've used honduran, I agree with Andrew - it's pretty stable. So I think you could probably go with three boards, 8" wide each.

Good luck. Post some pics when you're done!
Fred

David Kumm
10-01-2015, 8:28 AM
I've used a lot of Honduran and don't remember ever having a cupped board. I'd look for 2 boards out of same tree, or a long board cut in half. Dave

Matt Krusen
10-01-2015, 8:37 AM
Plenty of G&G pieces incorporated breadboard ends with ebony splines so that's definitely a possibility for you.

Jan Bianchi
10-01-2015, 9:37 AM
Plenty of G&G pieces incorporated breadboard ends with ebony splines so that's definitely a possibility for you.

Sorry, I got distracted last night after I had posted. I am using breadboard ends and my boards are 5/4 so I should be good. Thanks again.

Robert LaPlaca
10-01-2015, 9:41 AM
Last couple of four drawer chests I built were constructed from South American Mahogany, tops were 24" wide, a two board glue up with one of the boards 16 inches wide..