PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight question

Rick Potter
09-30-2015, 1:58 PM
I am a flashlight junky, and cannot resist something oddball, and cheap. Picked a light off the clearance rack at HD the other day. It is an Energiser Carabiner Crank Light, and it was 3 or 4 bucks.

The package says you crank it for one minute, and get three minutes of light, at 7 lumens. This is an FL 1 standard that it apparently meets. I cranked it for 1 minute 15 seconds, then turned it on and left it. Twenty minutes later it was still putting out good light. At an hour, it was getting dimmer, but still good. It went one hour forty minutes and still put out enough light to be useable, about like a night light.

This light has three LED's, and the package says it never needs batteries. In tiny lettering it says it has NiMH batteries inside.

My question is..........do you think it also has a capacitor, or just the batteries.

Tom M King
09-30-2015, 4:47 PM
I dont' know about that one, but I like the 2,000 lumen little flashlights you can get on ebay with a Cree LED, and rechargeable 18650 batteries for something less than 20 bucks with free shipping.

Steve Peterson
09-30-2015, 5:12 PM
I doubt it has much circuitry for $3-4. It may have a small capacitor, but not a super-capacitor used for storing charge. That would be redundant since it has a rechargeable battery. I am surprised that it uses NiMh. NiCads are cheaper and should be more tolerant of over-charging.

We have something similar. It was marked as an emergency light since it never needs batteries. I certainly wouldn't count on it to be very functional after it sits in a drawer for a few years. I have so many battery operated flash lights and spare batteries that I am not worried if the "emergency" flashlight doesn't work. I usually buy around 4 per year around Christmas time when the big box stores have them in the center isle. I guess I am a flashlight junkie also.

Steve

Scott Pierce
09-30-2015, 5:23 PM
I dont' know about that one, but I like the 2,000 lumen little flashlights you can get on ebay with a Cree LED, and rechargeable 18650 batteries for something less than 20 bucks with free shipping.

I've gotten three of the single AA battery mini Cree flashlights off amazon for about $4 each (from China) I think. I don't bother with the rechargeable batteries since I can get a brick of AA batteries at Costco, and they seem to last forever. I'd rather pay about 25 cents for a disposable AA instead of what the rechargeables cost, especially based on the reviews that say the quality is really hit and miss. Correct me if I am wrong.
We use these little Cree flashlights for camping and for $4 they are amazing!

Tom M King
09-30-2015, 7:07 PM
I bought ten or twenty of the LI 18650 s for about a buck a piece and haven't burned one out yet. The 1800 and 2000 lumen flashlights might only burn for 15 minutes on a charge, but you can drive a car by it if your headlights fail. 4 triple As would probably put out about the same current, but that's just a guess. They recharge quickly with the cheap chargers too. We have a farm in the country, and these lights will light up to the other side of a pasture if needed. I wish I could post a link, but I only know of them on ebay.

Franklin Ferrier
09-30-2015, 11:12 PM
I was wondering about the 2000 lumen jobs. The focusable 600lm ones seem to be powerful enough for most things I use them for. I think one of the small 2000lm torches could be used as a tactical personal protection device, blind the attacker before they get to you.

Rick Potter
10-01-2015, 4:15 AM
I went back and checked, and it is NiMh. I tried out the light in the back yard tonight and it is bright enough to walk around, etc. The grandkids will have fun with it.

My current favorites are the small Duracell aluminum jobs that come three to a pack at Costco. They are amazing, and light up a house at 100 feet, and only $15 or so for three, with batteries. I have had a couple switches go bad though. I have one in each car, and near each door, as well as other places. They take 3 triple A's to run.

Jerome Stanek
10-01-2015, 7:10 AM
I like the blue free ones from Harbor Freight I left one on and it lasted over a day. That was with the flat face with more leds lit. I like the magnet that I can stick it to the under side of a computer case

John Stankus
10-01-2015, 12:21 PM
I

My question is..........do you think it also has a capacitor, or just the batteries.

My first thought was......you have a hammer....find out :)

Rick Potter
10-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Ahh......perhaps later.

Tom M King
10-01-2015, 3:11 PM
I understand we can't post a link here, but if you put this item number in the search box there, you will see one of the many examples. 201270807951 This is an 1800 lumen flashlight that will fit in your pocket, with rechargeable battery, and charger for a price that may surprise you. One similar to this is also my backpacking light.

I like the little chargers that charge one or two without the cord. The prongs for the plug fold in. Sorry, but I didn't spend time there shopping around. The item number above was just the first one that came up that included charger and battery. I did better on overall price by buying flashlights, chargers, and batteries separately. They were big hits as Christmas presents last year. My friend who won the Nobel Prize in Physics called me to ask where he could get another battery. He didn't notice it was rechargeable, and disposed of his battery when it went dead. We had a good laugh when I gave him another battery. At least he put it in a recycling bin for batteries.

Jim Koepke
10-01-2015, 3:39 PM
An engineer once commented, "a flashlight is just a case for holding dead batteries."

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a flashlight junkie.

Though I do know my problem and fondly adore all the new flashlights in the stores and on line, I can restrain myself and have enough good ones laying around and a few dozens that only need batteries to be brought back to life.

jtk

Mel Fulks
10-01-2015, 3:56 PM
Haven't seen the one you described but we have a couple crank charged light and radio gizmos. Think ours are Duracell product. They do work but they are only backups for harbor freight lights. Just got a "shop light" there with batteries for $3.49. Also has a flash light mode with fewer LEDs!

Steve Peterson
10-01-2015, 4:08 PM
I went back and checked, and it is NiMh. I tried out the light in the back yard tonight and it is bright enough to walk around, etc. The grandkids will have fun with it.

My current favorites are the small Duracell aluminum jobs that come three to a pack at Costco. They are amazing, and light up a house at 100 feet, and only $15 or so for three, with batteries. I have had a couple switches go bad though. I have one in each car, and near each door, as well as other places. They take 3 triple A's to run.

I always look for 2 things in a handheld flashlight. It needs a switch on the side instead of the end. This makes it much easier to turn on while you are holding it. It also needs to take AA batteries, since AAs hold twice as much energy as AAAs for nearly the same cost.

Steve

Rick Potter
10-03-2015, 8:33 PM
I agree with you there Steve. I love those little duracell lights, but they would be even better if they took AA's.

I found a full size Duracell light at Costco that takes C cells. It puts out more light than my old Mag Light with the LED upgrade. Keep it in my truck, but I use the pocket sized ones around the house all the time.

william watts
10-03-2015, 10:29 PM
I always look for 2 things in a handheld flashlight. It needs a switch on the side instead of the end. This makes it much easier to turn on while you are holding it. It also needs to take AA batteries, since AAs hold twice as much energy as AAAs for nearly the same cost.

Steve

The switch on the end seems to last longer, so thats what I look for. I also look for flashlights that aren't round so they won't roll off the bench or table. They are hard to find, so mostly I have round ones.

The free flashlight from H.F. offer seems to have disappeared in my area, now it's buy something and get a free flashlight. I have 5 or 6 of the free ones scattered around the house, so your always near one.

Everybody must already know to remove the dead batteries so if they leak they won't ruin whatever they are used in. Years of experience in consumer electronics taught me Eveready batteries are almost leak free, and that a product called Limeaway on a cotton swab or flux brush removes corrosion completely.

ken masoumi
10-04-2015, 1:47 PM
Hello, my name is Jim and I am a flashlight junkie.

Though I do know my problem and fondly adore all the new flashlights in the stores and on line, I can restrain myself and have enough good ones laying around and a few dozens that only need batteries to be brought back to life.

jtk
I went through a phase a few years ago when I would buy any flashlight I saw, any size/shape as long as they were under $100, collected 30 or so , I even made a display box for them, but my wife saw the new addiction taking shape and thankfully put a stop to it:). gifted a few , kept a few. I now have one flashlight at every entrance to the house,and also in every room in the house , just waiting for a power outage:D, the most powerful one in my collection takes a 18650 battery(Fenix TK11), the most used flashlight I have cost less than $25 ,(Ultrafire C8)but has the longest throw.

Jason Roehl
10-04-2015, 2:36 PM

Steve

Depends on how you hold it. If you hold the flashlight next to your waist, you are correct. If you hold it in a "tactical" position--next to your head, the button on the end is easier to use. I also think it's easier to find--you don't have to spin the light as you would when the switch is on the side.

Tom M King
10-04-2015, 3:21 PM
With ones like I was talking about that are small enough to fit in your pocket, the end button is the most natural place for the switch.

Tom M King
10-04-2015, 3:23 PM
I went through a phase a few years ago when I would buy any flashlight I saw, any size/shape as long as they were under $100, collected 30 or so , I even made a display box for them, but my wife saw the new addiction taking shape and thankfully put a stop to it:). gifted a few , kept a few. I now have one flashlight at every entrance to the house,and also in every room in the house , just waiting for a power outage:D, the most powerful one in my collection takes a 18650 battery(Fenix TK11), the most used flashlight I have cost less than $25 ,(Ultrafire C8)but has the longest throw.
That's what I was talking about. I don't know anyone that has tried one that doesn't have a new favorite. There are a bunch of different brand names on them, but they look like they come out of the same factory in China. This little light was the death of Maglights.

Stephen Tashiro
10-04-2015, 3:42 PM
There is a common style of small flashlight that is turned off and on by turning the the top of the light. Does anyone actually find this a useful design? To me it is completely confusing to use a motion that resembles unscrewing the end of the flashlight in order to turn it on.

ken masoumi
10-04-2015, 4:04 PM
There is a common style of small flashlight that is turned off and on by turning the the top of the light. Does anyone actually find this a useful design? To me it is completely confusing to use a motion that resembles unscrewing the end of the flashlight in order to turn it on.
I have 3 of the the screw type flashlight(ITP A1/ A3,Fenix EO1) and don't use them much mainly because the ones I have are the small key chain type, bought them thinking it would be a good idea to have a flashlight hanging with my keys, it wasn't, I also find the screw head type awkward for a flashlight, I would much rather have the on/off button on the body or the end.

Rosea Webs
08-28-2016, 11:27 PM
Only 7 lumen flashlight is a junk no doubt that. I am using fenix pd 35 best tactical flashlight. It is 1000 lumens light but have so much power than normal light.

Rick Moyer
08-29-2016, 7:28 PM
Only 7 lumen flashlight is a junk no doubt that. I am using fenix pd 35 best tactical flashlight. It is 1000 lumens light but have so much power than normal light.
Me too, Fenix PD 35 TAC.

Rich Riddle
08-29-2016, 8:23 PM
Me too, Fenix PD 35 TAC.
Thanks for that. I have been looking for a decent small light. The one your suggested reviews very well.

Rick Moyer
08-30-2016, 8:23 AM
Thanks for that. I have been looking for a decent small light. The one your suggested reviews very well.
Small is relative. This one is about 6" long. Small to carry in hand, but maybe not in pocket everyday. I keep in my pocket most of the time a very small Thrunite Ti3, which I actually have found I use way more than I would have suspected. About 200 lumens on high.

Rich Riddle
09-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Small is relative. This one is about 6" long. Small to carry in hand, but maybe not in pocket everyday. I keep in my pocket most of the time a very small Thrunite Ti3, which I actually have found I use way more than I would have suspected. About 200 lumens on high.
The Fenix PD 35 TAC arrived in the mail. That is sure one bright light.

Rick Moyer
09-04-2016, 8:31 AM
Nice, enjoy!

Michael Weber
09-04-2016, 11:43 AM
the only flashlight I have in the house that I think works is something like the crank model. You shake it and a magnet slides back and forth past a coil, generating voltage to charge a capacitor. MIL gift years ago. Frankly not worth the effort. I just stumble around in the dark.

Rosea Webs
09-06-2016, 1:13 AM
I had two flashlight in my house. One is fenix pd 35 tactical flashlight and other is ecogear fx flashlight. It had because now i have only fenix. Fenix 1000 lumens flashlight but ecogear 1200 lumens flashlight. I compared both but fenix was looking better to me. And few days ago ecogear just stopped working. Ecogear flashlight price was only 55 but fenix price $95. This clearly indication if you want high quality best tactical flashlight (http://besttacticalflashlights.org/) then you have to spend little bit more.