PDA

View Full Version : Target HSF 5000 HIgh Solids Filler

David Pascoe
09-30-2015, 10:51 AM
It is a never-ending quest for me to find a suitable grain filler for use on $$$ tropical hardwoods. Target came out with HSF 5000 which they claim,

"EMTECH HSF5000PSF is a high solids waterborne primer, surfacer and filler specifically formulated for use on open grained wood, MDF and engineered veneers to help provide a smooth, non-textured appearance to the base substrate when finished with clear or pigmented top coats".

The product looks like white latex paint and with good reason I was reluctant to apply it to some rosewood. Every time I've tried it I was left with grain filled with what looked like white paint. I'd assumed that once the finish was applied, the white would disappear. IT DIDN'T.

The wood was sanded heavily to remove the surface filler, leaving the remaining in the grain as per instructions.

I'd feel stupid asking if maybe I'd done something wrong so instead will ask if anyone else has had the same experience with this product.

I thought Target had more integrity than to put out a product like this with such erroneous claims.

Rob Cunningham
09-30-2015, 3:21 PM
The HSF 5000 comes in 3 different color bases, neutral, white and grey. Did you order the white base instead of the neutral base?

David Pascoe
10-02-2015, 12:48 PM
No, I have two cans that are clearly marked NEUTRAL.

M Toupin
10-02-2015, 2:21 PM
Never used HFS5000, but have you tried to put a top coat on a scrap piece yet?

Plaster of paris also works as a grain filler and leaves a white residue in the pores when sanded down. A top coat makes it disappear though.

Just a thought.

Mike

Jim Colombo
10-03-2015, 1:02 PM
Have you tried "Aqua Coat" Clear???? It's worked very well for me.

Jim