PDA

View Full Version : Building ron Paul workbench thinking about 3/4 holes

Kasey Miller
09-30-2015, 9:51 AM
Hi everyone I am thinking about building a ron paulk workbench for my shop. But wasn't sure if I should drill the 3/4 inch holes all over the top, or maybe just drill the holes on one side of the bench or not at all. Let me know what you guys have done or would do differently. Thanks

Mark W Pugh
09-30-2015, 11:20 PM
I put holes over the entire surface of my 4' X 4' mobil work bench. I cover it with shower pan material when not using the holes. The material keeps stuff from falling through the holes, and glue ups don't stick to the material. I have used holes all over it, depending what I'm trying to hold down, or hold from moving.

I hand drilled the holes. Next time I would use a plunge router, or some type of jig to drill STRAIGHT down.

I like the bench dogs that have a spring wire that holds the dog in place. Also, 8" dog hold downs http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/acc1708/?inMed=GSTORE&gclid=CjwKEAjwkK6wBRCcoK_tiOT-zFASJAC7RAriBxQsZC91VkDlTVKmQ4OJXTk0yhfV6IkOhvYBMb p3ohoC0Mvw_wcB#.VgylV7QnLzI (?) rock.

My bench top is two layers of 3/4" material, so some types of clamps won't work (i.e. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/491594/Quick-clamp-FS-HZ-160.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjwkK6wBRCcoK_tiOT-zFASJAC7RArirodxmoQB__VgBjhMAPJPZcg2N6NOU_6a5j1FOv CXhhoC_Jvw_wcB, which I really like)

Andrew Hughes
10-01-2015, 12:04 AM
At first I thought you were building a work bench for Ron Paul.I was going to suggest that you ask him.
I need new glasses.:)

David Eisenhauer
10-01-2015, 4:06 AM
Kinda thinking the clamp holes are an integral part of the plan for ease/flexibility in clamping anything down, but maybe you nly put in some of the holes as opposed to all of them and add more later if you are leaning that way. More holes would help drop the weight some too.

Bob Grier
10-01-2015, 7:06 AM
Placing holes across the entire surface and in top of end vice has worked well for me. What I wish I had done was be more accurate so I could use the holes more easily for clamping right angles. Accurately placed holes come in handy for all sorts of things.

I used a jig that had a line of holes and using a hand held drill I drilled 3/4" holes 1 1/8" deep into a 2" maple top. The jig was a couple inches thick so the holes came out pretty much perpendicular to the top. However, sometimes the jig didn't get clamped down accurately at right angle to front of bench and sometimes the holes didn't come out exactly perpendicular to the top. I think there is a better way to be more accurate and I also think a plunge router would be a step in that direction. I suppose misaligned holes can be plugged and re drilled.

Kasey Miller
10-01-2015, 8:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses I think I will end up drilling the holes over the entire surface.

Jim Becker
10-01-2015, 10:10 AM
I did three rows of dog holes on my bench for maximum flexibility, both for stops and for using my hold-downs.

Jim Dwight
10-01-2015, 4:43 PM
I recommend a router base plate you can get from a guy who blogs on the FOG - Festool Owners Group. It has pins spaced for pegboard so you can easily make holes on 3 inch centers. I bought one but haven't used it yet. It will not be as accurate as having the holes CNC'd but I think it will be good enough.