PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving Gravoply ultra Issues

Pat Philips
09-30-2015, 1:57 AM
Hi Guys

I've been having a few issues laser engraving gravoply ultra, especially when engraving white plate with a red or black core.

The black or red enraved area looks faded almost as if the dust has become ingrained in it.

When i try cleaning the dust off by wiping with metho or cleaner it still maintains its faded look.

I'm pretty sure I have my settings correct 50 power - 100 speed on trotec speedy 100 and I am engraving from bottom to top and I have external extraction.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Pat

Jack Clague
09-30-2015, 6:20 AM
Hi Pat,

I haven't used that material but i had a similar issue with Trolase today, the image on the left you can see the wording is not very black and has a grey tinge to it, the second is exactly the same settings but I adjusted the z-offset by 2mm (further away) making the laser out of focus, this helped me get a really nice clean black colour

I would recommend getting a small piece and just engrave some letters trying different settings to see which results work well.

Ross Moshinsky
09-30-2015, 8:02 AM
I would use more power. It looks like you're just removing the top layer and you'd be better off going a little deeper.

Scott Shepherd
09-30-2015, 8:03 AM
Try two passes. Some materials take 2 passes. Either that or bump up the power to 70 or so. Make sure the nose cone is off and the air is off when engraving it.

Mark Sipes
09-30-2015, 1:48 PM
To get the dark black, red, blue, I use a 2nd pass at 20% less power and .020 out of focus.. Puts more of a glaze as it melts the core.

Pat Philips
09-30-2015, 8:12 PM
Thanks Guys

I'll give all that a go.

I also read somewhere to spray the engraved area with WD40

I'll try that aswell.

Pat

Kev Williams
09-30-2015, 11:40 PM
I engrave craploads of Rowmark, and some Gravoply- they're different but basically they 'act' the same-

Without a doubt, WHITE is the hardest color to get a laser beam thru. Whereas my LS900 settings are 60 power 100 speed to get thru black, blue, red and green, I run 80 power and 80 speed to get thru white.

Another thing that helps, although it takes longer (but can avoid a second pass which takes WAY longer) is to increase the lines per inch. I typically run 500 LPI for most everything, but for white I go 600.

BECAUSE the white is hard to get thru, I've also found it's also the most forgiving. Don't be afraid to crank up the power... :)

As for WD40, I'd suggest Brillianizer or Novus clean 'n shine, or kitchen wax, or sometimes I use stainless polish..

Pat Philips
10-12-2015, 7:24 PM
Problem solved guys..

defocus the laser by 2mm .. bobs your uncle.. engraves perfect black and red..

thanks for help everyone

Pat

Jack Clague
10-12-2015, 7:31 PM
Glad it got sorted mate, I had to do the exact same on my Trolase Metalic Plus, comes out great each time now. Also try 1mm offset as well

Keith Outten
10-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Thanks Guys

I'll give all that a go.

I also read somewhere to spray the engraved area with WD40

I'll try that aswell.

Pat

Try a coat of Armor All.