PDA

View Full Version : Felder AD 531 J/P

John TenEyck
09-29-2015, 10:43 AM
How much is a used Felder AD 531 J/P with spiral head worth in excellent condition? Don't know exactly how old, but can't be too old since it has a spiral head. It looks brand new. It's a pretty long trip to go look at it and I don't want to waste my time or the other guy's if it's out of my league price wise. Thanks.

John

Mike Heidrick
09-29-2015, 11:03 AM
$4K most likely

In 2009 new a 531 was $5800 with a 4 knife head

John TenEyck
09-29-2015, 11:41 AM
I found out that it's about 1-1/2 years old and he paid $9 - 10K for it with whatever accessories are with it. He also has a beast of a Felder bandsaw and sliding table saw for sale, and they look to just as new. Those, however, are far too big to go into my basement, but I'd be happy to pass along his contact info. if anyone's interested. He's in PA.

And I'm still interested in what others think the J/P is worth. Thanks.

John

Mike Heidrick
09-29-2015, 12:00 PM
$4k would be less than half then so prob a great buy with little to no use. He did not have a price??? Ask him not us lol.

John TenEyck
09-29-2015, 1:18 PM
I've asked. All he told me was he paid $9 - 10K, that it's 1-1/2 years old, and to come see it. It's a 4 hour drive, so I don't want to go look at if he wants $7 for it. I'd like to know what a fair value is before making him an offer, too. Normally, I never pay more than 1/2 for a used machine, but this is nearly new so it seems like it ought to be substantially more than that. On the other hand, there will be no warranty which is something to consider with a machine in this price range. I could buy a brand new Hammer A3-31 for around $4 and get a warranty with it. Oh the conundrum.

John

Mike Heidrick
09-29-2015, 1:30 PM
Awesome issue to have my friend. Hope you get it for a great deal. A Huge Cash Flash might just pay off for sure.

Rod Sheridan
09-29-2015, 2:20 PM
John, the AD has power drive on the planer table I presume?

The customer may have ordered it with options and accessories.

I would expect to pay $6K to $5K for it depending upon options...........Rod.

Jeff Monson
09-29-2015, 5:15 PM
John, the AD has power drive on the planer table I presume?

Rod, I don't believe a 531 series is available with power drive, but I may be wrong.

John, I'd hate to pay anything much over $4k to $45k as you stated a new Hammer is in the same range. You are getting a nicer machine but capacity wise they are similar.

David Hawxhurst
09-29-2015, 5:34 PM
it is the same capacity as the a3-31, but i think the tables are longer as well. the chassis is based on the older style ad741's (formerly green). if it has the power drive i would seriously consider it over the a3-31. i started with the a3-31 and then moved up to the ad741 with spiral cutter head. there is a difference the 741 is just more stout and other things that is just hard to put into words, but if you used both it would make a lot more sense.

do you which bandsaw he is sell?

John TenEyck
09-29-2015, 5:45 PM
David, the bandsaw is a FB 610. He said he paid $4700 and wants $3500 for it. I heard back on the J/P. He wants $7900 for it! That's a long ways from where I'm willing to go.

John

Mike Heidrick
09-29-2015, 9:27 PM
David, the bandsaw is a FB 610. He said he paid $4700 and wants $3500 for it. I heard back on the J/P. He wants $7900 for it! That's a long ways from where I'm willing to go.

John

He will be keeping those tools. Guys that close will buy new I bet!

Jeff Monson
09-29-2015, 9:51 PM
I heard back on the J/P. He wants $7900 for it! That's a long ways from where I'm willing to go.

John

Yes thats way too much for a 12" combo. I'd opt for the hammer or if you can handle the space a nice used AD741. I paid way less than that for my AD741. Even if he comes down in price he will still want too much.

Kent Adams
09-29-2015, 9:55 PM

John

I agree with others, I don't think he'll get that price, unless perhaps, someone was eyeing that particular machine and was about to pull the trigger to buy it and then found his. Maybe tell him you didn't want to pay more than $4k and you'll split the difference with him. I think for $6k, it would be worth it to me if I was in the market. I'm curious as to why he is selling it as well as the other items. I found the ad, he said the sale is urgent and his health is failing? He's got this super nice equipment, but his dust collector is a $500 Jet (perhaps he's already sold his nice DC and this is just for when people want to demo)? The machines are in a building that looks primarily for storage and they don't look like they've really ever been used. I love that slider he has for sale. Something doesn't seem right to me about this but I'm naturally skeptical. He definitely has some of my dream equipment. If his health really is failing, that's a bit sad because he has some beautiful equipment. I'm not sure I'd put my health issues in an ad unless I was really motivated to sell and tired of people that weren't serious coming out just to look at the machines. I bet if someone offered him $10k for the JP and the bandsaw together, he'd take it. I think he might meet you half way at $6 if you can stretch that far.

I wonder if he has a buyer for all that lumber?

David Hawxhurst
09-29-2015, 10:22 PM

John

that was pretty much the price i had in my head after reading the op. i have a fb 600 so probably going to pass on it.

if you look around you can probably find a used ad 741 for that kinda of money. by chance does he have the morticing unit that goes with it?

John TenEyck
09-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I told him I might be able to see my way to $6 and he told me I didn't understand that these are "precision Austrian machines - like buying a Mercedes". He said he was willing to discount them 10% per year even though they had seen almost no use and were essentially brand new. I don't think he really wants to sell them. The fact that his add has been up for about 12 days and he hasn't sold any of the machines yet suggests he's not likely to get what he's asking. His shop sure looks top notch to me (except the DC), and he's got a hell of a stash of what looks to be some really nice wood, too. But it looks like he never really finished building the shop since I didn't see any other machines, or benches and all the other stuff we all have, so I suspect his health really did take a turn for the worse. In any case, I think this is going to be a dead end for me.

John

David Kumm
09-29-2015, 11:18 PM
There are plenty of opportunities with used. Felder makes great stuff, the the 531 is closer to Hammer in build with several levels above. Still good, but no Mercedes unless maybe the C class which has lots of alternatives too. Once a machine is used, 70% of new is about as high as life gets, and not often. Dave

Bill Adamsen
09-30-2015, 9:23 AM
I would echo Mr. Kumm's point above. There are plenty of opportunities to purchase used equipment. There was a virtually unused Tersa head 16" J/P on ebay a few months ago for $4k.

While I have a 16" combination J/P, separates may provide greater value both operationally and for task-specific features. So for instance - for the solid wood processing I do - I am often wishing both jointer and planer were wider (20"-24" or more), the jointer were longer (7'-8') with a rabbet shelf, and the planer were more compact.

John TenEyck
09-30-2015, 11:06 AM
that was pretty much the price i had in my head after reading the op. i have a fb 600 so probably going to pass on it.

if you look around you can probably find a used ad 741 for that kinda of money. by chance does he have the morticing unit that goes with it?

I don't think he has the mortiser for it, at least he didn't mention it in the list of accessories.

John

John TenEyck
09-30-2015, 11:13 AM
I would echo Mr. Kumm's point above. There are plenty of opportunities to purchase used equipment. There was a virtually unused Tersa head 16" J/P on ebay a few months ago for $4k.

While I have a 16" combination J/P, separates may provide greater value both operationally and for task-specific features. So for instance - for the solid wood processing I do - I am often wishing both jointer and planer were wider (20"-24" or more), the jointer were longer (7'-8') with a rabbet shelf, and the planer were more compact.

I prefer separates, too, although I do have an Inca J/P. And I'd really like a wider jointer than 12" if I'm going to throw that kind of money at it. I thought I'd take a run at the Felder since it looked brand new and was pretty close. But for that money I can easily buy larger separates, albeit not of the same quality. Oh well, there will be others.

John

Michael Koons
09-30-2015, 11:50 AM

I just got a quote on the FB610. He overpaid for his. You can almost get a new one at that price.

EDIT: I just looked up the FB610. $4700 is higher than list. I doubt he paid that.