PDA

View Full Version : 1sr 120 lbs. ash blank

Bob Bergstrom
09-28-2015, 8:55 PM
This is the first of 4 half rounds I have to rough out. The trimmed blank was 23" across and 8 1/2" deep. I used my Makita electric chainsaw to trim and saw the bevel on the blank. Once mounted it turned easily. I cored 2 smaller bowls(14" and 10") and still had a 3" wall in the largest bowl. The jumbo MacKaughton blade was maxed out at 15". The largest bowl weighs now 20 lbs. The five bowls shown came from 1 half round. I have three more half rounds to go.

Thomas Canfield
09-28-2015, 9:11 PM
That is quite a chunk. Did you use #3 or #4 jaws to hold large section for coring, and what size faceplate round up section? I do not core, but am impressed. I have some 23 to 24" wide x4" thick Ash that I am thinking about making a 31" (32" max outboard on Powermatic 3520B) wall hanging soon. The wood was cut on bandsaw mill about 3 months back and end sealed, but will still be fairly wet when turned. I have 6" faceplate, and #4 jaws for Oneway Stronghold chuck to use and am working up to the chore.

Bob Bergstrom
09-28-2015, 9:38 PM
That is quite a chunk. Did you use #3 or #4 jaws to hold large section for coring, and what size faceplate round up section? I do not core, but am impressed. I have some 23 to 24" wide x4" thick Ash that I am thinking about making a 31" (32" max outboard on Powermatic 3520B) wall hanging soon. The wood was cut on bandsaw mill about 3 months back and end sealed, but will still be fairly wet when turned. I have 6" faceplate, and #4 jaws for Oneway Stronghold chuck to use and am working up to the chore.
Tom I used a 4" face plate with 8 - 1 1/2" screws. Because I beveled the edge of the blank there was no banging or hit and miss turning. The coring was done on #4 jaws with a Oneway Stronghold chuck.

Mike Goetzke
09-29-2015, 8:30 AM
Did you use your hydraulic lift for that blank! I can't believe the uniqueness of the bowls even though they came from the same blank - beautiful!

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

Bob Bergstrom
09-29-2015, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Goetzke;2472929]Did you use your hydraulic lift for that blank! I can't believe the uniqueness of the bowls even though they came from the same blank - beautiful!

Mike I used to just lift them onto the lathe but I've gotten smarter in my old age. I strapped the blank to my hand truck and eased it down the basement stairs sitting on each stair to hold it from rolling down with me following. When I got it into the shop I laid the truck down and slid the blank onto the table. Pump it up as high as it would go and slide it onto the ways. I then slipped a wedge of scap wood under it and nudged the blank up the incline to get to spindle height. I turned the hand wheel to feed it on the headstock. The MacNaughton coring does offer a lot of freedom. I could have cored two smaller one and another large one. I need a blade for 18" cores?
Thanks for sharing,

David Delo
09-29-2015, 5:17 PM
I see you still like a little Mustard on your new lathe Bob! Coring with the McNaughton is a pretty fun diversion from the normal everyday stuff (for me at least) except for that last little bit, "do I stop the lathe and try to knock it out by hand," or just "let her fly and don't worry about it." I'm thinking of attaching a fishing net to catch the cored blanks or some type of wrestling mat on the floor to absorb the impact.

charlie knighton
09-29-2015, 6:20 PM
enjoy, Bob

Bob Bergstrom
09-29-2015, 8:11 PM
I see you still like a little Mustard on your new lathe Bob! Coring with the McNaughton is a pretty fun diversion from the normal everyday stuff (for me at least) except for that last little bit, "do I stop the lathe and try to knock it out by hand," or just "let her fly and don't worry about it." I'm thinking of attaching a fishing net to catch the cored blanks or some type of wrestling mat on the floor to absorb the impact.
I can't predict where the bowl will trave so I've learn to dance or jump when I see it coming my way. I traded my new Robust tool rest for my old Powermatic. I didn't think I got the support at that length. I love my 9" Robust, but the big Powermatic is like a rock. I file the top once in a while, but the cast seems quite hard. I have found it much harder than many others.

Bob Bergstrom
09-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Here's blank rotating at 50

http://youtu.be/JAerzWIIh98

Bob Bergstrom
10-01-2015, 9:14 AM
Here's some more ash. I used my MacNaughton lance to part it into 2 - 21 x 3" blanks. The lance couldn't reach the center so I locked the spindle and slipped my Makita chainsaw in the grove and sawed the rest. They both show some fiddle and will look awesome when displayed vertically.