PDA

View Full Version : Used Drill Press Help

Jacob Lundmark
09-28-2015, 1:00 PM
Hello all!

I am looking for a drill press to add to my shop. Looking used on craigslist in Minneapolis. I see a lot of old presses but have no idea which ones I am looking for. Couple '40s craftsman, several old Taiwan presses...not sure. Hoping for some help from you guys.

I will be mainly using the drill press for small things like euro hinges. Not sure if a bench or floor model is better because I don't have a clue when I would need a floor model over the bench.

Any and all help would be very appreciated.

Link to craigslist http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=date&query=drill+press

Thanks,
Jacob

Dave Richards
09-28-2015, 1:41 PM
I would suggest a floor standing unit even though you might not need its capacity now. There's a Jet 16-1/2 in. DP listed in St. Anthony that could be a good option. I'd avoid the really old ones unless you're up for some restoration work and the stay away from those cheapo bench top models. They won't be worth the gas to go pick them up.

Matt Day
09-28-2015, 2:39 PM
I agree with Dave, get a floor standing model. There's a Delta 16 1/2" for $150 that should work.

Or wait for a classic Powermatic to come up. I got a PM 1150 (non Variable speed) for $175 and its head and shoulders above the Craftsman it replaced. Also twice the mass.

Mike Schuch
09-28-2015, 2:40 PM
I have Powermatic, Walker Turner and a Harbor Freight drill presses. All 3 drill holes just fine. The Powermatic and WalkerTurner run quieter and are nicer but I have never drilled an unusable hole with the HF.

pat warner
09-28-2015, 2:46 PM
Eye ball drilling, shallow holes, small drills?
Hinge drilling on punch marks?
No precision demand?
Buy new, cheap.
If you continue to drill and change your ways:
You'll learn from this one where to go.
I just would not get crazy over a purchase like this.
Here is a short partial list of used machines should you decide cheap is not to your taste:
What old drills are great? They must be re-built x reputable sources. But if done well, they pay for themsleves 5x over.
Buffalo, Atlas, DoAll, Davis & Wells, Powermatics, Rockwells, General, Clausing, Delta, Pre'65 Sears, walker-turner, Duro, & Wilton
e.g.

Jacob Lundmark
09-28-2015, 5:06 PM
Thank you for the advice so far. The Jet is a bit more than I am looking to spend at this point in my woodworking adventure.

What types of things do you find that you need a bigger capacity drill press for?

Gerry Grzadzinski
09-28-2015, 5:14 PM
Lowes sells a decent Porter Cable floor model for about $320.

Dave Richards
09-28-2015, 5:20 PM
Generally the larger machines will be better able to handle things like large diameter Forstner bits and holesaws. You'll also get a deeper throat so you can drill holes farther from the edge of the work. Often you'll get more options for speed settings. The quill bearings/bushings will be larger and heavier duty and the tables are typically larger. With a floor stadning machine it is easier to drill into longer pieces if you need to. Turn the table 90° and clamp the work piece vertically.

John T Barker
09-28-2015, 6:49 PM
I'd say it depends on what you do. I went many years making furniture with little use for drilling. Bought a bunch of sanders but have never used them much. Do you sell what you make? Make some stuff getting by with a cheap bench top and then buy a good one later when you can afford it.

Jacob Lundmark
09-29-2015, 1:34 PM
Thank you for the help everyone. I will keep watching Craigslist. I do have a call into the Delta mentioned above.

James Goodnight
09-29-2015, 1:55 PM
Lowes sells a decent Porter Cable floor model for about $320.

Yeah, I just bought the PCB660DP this past weekend on sale at Lowes for $287 plus tax. It appears to be a very favorably reviewed high-value drill press.

It's a "15-inch" multi-speed floor stand model, so the throat depth (correct term?) is 7-1/2". I'm a righty, but I find the right- or left-side feed handle installation option to be a thoughtful feature. I also like the 4" spindle (quill) travel spec, which will allow me to drill through a "whatever x 4" or a "4 x whatever" with a single operation. We'll see how well the laser crosshairs work out.

Best of luck!
Jim

Jacob Lundmark
09-30-2015, 9:31 AM
What is the recommended size that I should target? Greater than 13"?