PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe in Shop

Jeremy Pyatskowit
09-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks to Bob Bergstrom for the heads up on the craigslist posting I picked up a Powermatic 4224. It's a substantial upgrade from my delta 46-460. It's a 2003 lathe so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the current model has but I've been very impressed so far with the little bit I have done. I did have to disassemble to get it into my basement but it wasn't too hard with two people. I'm looking forward to getting a coring system and a hollowing rig to expand my abilities.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u281/jpyat73/lathe_zpsaanl8bly.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/jpyat73/media/lathe_zpsaanl8bly.jpg.html)

Peter Blair
09-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Congrats Jeremy! Notice how the vortex forms just beside the lathe. . . . .

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2015, 4:51 PM
Congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Bob Bergstrom
09-28-2015, 5:29 PM
I would say for the money you are the owner of one sweet lathe. Some of my hard core woodturning buddies would prefer the stationary headstock over the newer one. I see you are against the wall so a sliding headstock would see minimal use. Also having the motor under the headstock takes up less space. I doubt if you will have to change pulley speed with 3hp. The ways must have taken some effort to get down to the basement? I have a hydraulic table under my lathe to move it out from the wall. Harbor Freight has one to lift 1,000 pounds. Now keep you eye out for a big chainsaw! Enjoy.

David Delo
09-28-2015, 6:30 PM
Nice score Jeremy. Welcome to the Mustard gang. BTW, there's another "A" machine for sale in the classified section.

Thomas Canfield
09-28-2015, 9:26 PM
Congratulations. Glad to see the shavings. You might want to consider some shower curtains to "drop" the huge shavings that that machine will produce.

robert baccus
09-28-2015, 9:53 PM
Very nice lathe that will handle just about anything. Strange---yours is still yellow???

Jeremy Pyatskowit
09-29-2015, 9:20 AM
The yellow it the mix of led and fluorescent lighting and a crappy iphone pic. I have a ground level window so I didn't have to carry anything down stairs. Just put in a plank and slide the bed on another plank using a 1" dowel as a roller, worked pretty slick. Thanks for the harbor freight lift, I'll have to look into that. I did have to raise it up a little bit to make it high enough and I'm still fine tuning the height before I make permanent feet.