PDA

View Full Version : I just wanted to share!!!

Jeff Body
09-28-2015, 12:31 AM
I just felt like sharing my latest accomplishment....

If you've seen the lasers on ebay you know they come with a roller type rotary to engrave glasses. 322336
Using this to do Pint glasses is a nightmare and I didn't even want to try wine and champagne glasses.
After trying out a few glasses I knew I wanted something different.
Since I haven't been able to make much money with my laser yet and I've been dishing out a alot getting everything setup and functioning the way I want. I decided I didn't have the money to buy another rotary. So the only other option was to make one. After looking at a few I came up with a design and overall I'm extremely glad it's worked.
It's made from 1/8" and 1/4" acrylic I had left over. I purchased some bearings and RC car axles from Amazon (total about $15.) And I used a belt and the motor from the old rotary.

Total time took about 3 weeks of trial and error.

Well I guess I'm just posting this because I hope someone here will understand the excitement of engineering, fabrication, and the success of seeing it work.

My laser hasn't made me much money and surely hasn't paid for itself but it sure has allowed me to have a blast making things.

Here's a few more pictures and a video.

https://youtu.be/hiwsJuu3XfA

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-28-2015, 1:00 AM
Awesome work Jeff! That is a great accomplishment and thank you for sharing the pictures & video clip with us!

Jack Clague
09-28-2015, 1:10 AM
impressive work, if the stepper motor tied into the machine so it rotates at the correct speed?

Jeff Body
09-28-2015, 1:36 AM
impressive work, if the stepper motor tied into the machine so it rotates at the correct speed?

Yes. This motor in the rotary replaces the Y motor. Then I turn on the rotary setting in my software and this causes it to use the new pulse width for my new setup.

The pulse width has been calibrated so it rotates the exact distance I tell it too.

Bert Kemp
09-28-2015, 8:21 AM
Man I wish I had the ability to do stuff like that nice job.

Keith Winter
09-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Neat stuff Jeff! Nice work

Roy Sanders
09-28-2015, 1:39 PM
Hi Jeff

Any chance you will share your assembly and cutout Plans. I would replace my 'simple' rotary in a heartbeat with yours.

Thanks
Roy

Jack Clague
09-28-2015, 5:41 PM
Jeff you said the machine hasn't made you much money but I'm guessing allot of the cutting was done this machine for that rotary, why not make a few rotary packages and sell them?

Ian Johnson
09-29-2015, 1:14 PM
Do the objects stay in position? I have a rotary of that style, and if I put a simple tube on it, it will tend to ride left or right so that a line engraved all of the way around won't meet up at the ends. I could never figure out what aspect of the alignment was responsible. It is more adjustable than your design, but that may be its downfall.