PDA

View Full Version : Help with Box maker

Jeff Body
09-27-2015, 8:19 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've used Boxmaker ( http://boxmaker.connectionlab.org/ ) to make a 7"x7"x3.5" box. I've gotten the PDF and I've loaded it into my graphics software. Currently I've tried Vinyl Master Pro, Inkscape and Corel and the same thing happens with them all.

I can't seem to do anything with the box. What I mean by that is each panel is made of many different individual lines. I can select each line. Now what I want is a solid shape with a continuous stroke line around it.
Things I have tried are

Welding the panel together........ This causes everything to completely disappear.
Combine the lines............... I'm not really sure what happens with this. The panel disappears until I remove the fill and than I just see the outline. It's now 1 object but but I don't know what it is (If that makes any sense). I can't weld to it, I can't punch out a circle in it, and I can't get it to fill with color.

My main goal is to remove the top fingers because the box I want doesn't have a lid. I've been trying to line up all the side panels and I make a bar covering all the fingers I want to remove. From there I normal just punch out and it SHOULD just remove the box I created and the notches should be removed but it doesn't.

Next try was to fill in the notches with a box. So I have the panel and I draw a box covering the notches and I try to weld. The only thing that happens is the whole panel disappears.
I hope someone can understand what I am trying to describe.

Can anyone help me?
I'm getting super frustrated.

Is there another box maker I can try.

Bert Kemp
09-27-2015, 8:29 PM
not totally sure what your looking to do but sounds like you want a box with no top, so use 4 sides and delete the fingers.
http://www.makercase.com/
try this one

Bill Reibelt
09-27-2015, 8:33 PM
I have used boxmaker and I use Corel. The side that you wish to make flat I:
1. Weld the vertical and horizontal corner lines together and then join.
2. remove all the lines and corners from the line.
3. using the shape tool click on the point that you need & expand it to the other corner and join the points.
This will give you a straight line and keep the box shape square.
I use this to make two boxes fit as a box and lid.
Any further questions please PM.
Bill

Jeff Body
09-28-2015, 12:11 AM
I thank both of you very much.....

Bill I played with it some more and I still couldn't figure out how to change the panels.

But

Bert came through with makercase and it worked like a charm. The file was easily modified.

And here's my creation for the night. First design went together nice with alitttle help from a hammer. LOL It's a super tight fit and there's no glue needed. 322333322332322334322335

I know what you're thinking.............. I've already adjusted the handle to make it stronger for the next box I make.

I love designing and making thing. It's such a gratifying feeling.

Thanks again!

Kev Williams
09-28-2015, 12:37 AM
regarding what to do with a shape that's just a bunch of separate-but otherwise connected- lines, try this:

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/outlinetool.jpg

Bert Kemp
09-28-2015, 8:26 AM
Glad that worked for ya.now fill those glasses with some Sam Adams:D

I thank both of you very much.....

Bill I played with it some more and I still couldn't figure out how to change the panels.

But

Bert came through with makercase and it worked like a charm. The file was easily modified.

And here's my creation for the night. First design went together nice with alitttle help from a hammer. LOL It's a super tight fit and there's no glue needed. 322333322332322334322335

I know what you're thinking.............. I've already adjusted the handle to make it stronger for the next box I make.

I love designing and making thing. It's such a gratifying feeling.

Thanks again!