PDA

View Full Version : Finished First Wooden Plane

Michael Fross
09-27-2015, 6:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share some shots of the 1st wooden plane I've made. It's been on my bucket list for years and after I picked up Scott Meek's How to Make a Smoothing Plane DVD (http://www.shopwoodworking.com/make-a-wooden-smoothing-plane) I gave it a shot. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and the video is fantastic.

It's made from Brazilian Cherry and I glued up the blank by using 3/4" material. It's a Krenov style plane with a 2" wide Hock blade. It takes some nice shavings, but I'm still getting used to adjusting it.

It does feel a bit "clunky" and I think I'll need to shape it a bit more after I use it a bit. I think the front needs to be less blocky to make it more comfortable.

Regards,

Michael

Jim Koepke
09-27-2015, 9:00 PM
Looks great, especially for a first time build.

It does feel a bit "clunky" and I think I'll need to shape it a bit more after I use it a bit. I think the front needs to be less blocky to make it more comfortable.

Now that it is done you can shape it to your liking. Even add a knob to the front if that is your desire. A round rasp or file could even make cut outs along the back to form fit to your hands and fingers.

jtk

David Eisenhauer
09-27-2015, 10:10 PM
I don't know enough to comment on the functionality of the plane, but the workmanship is beautiful. You, sir, are a craftsman.

Frederick Skelly
09-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Very nice. I love the color - what did you use?

I made a Krenov out of maple last year using an LV kit. I'll warn you, making planes is addictive. I've made several since.

Christian Thompson
09-28-2015, 8:15 AM
Beautiful!

Michael Fross
09-28-2015, 11:00 AM
Very nice. I love the color - what did you use?

Thanks for the thoughts Frederick. It's simply natural Danish Oil. The Brazilian Cherry is fairly dark so I didn't want to add any more color if I could help it. I know I'll be tweaking the shapes as well as flattening the bottom, so I had to choose something that was very easily renewable.

Michael