PDA

View Full Version : Where would i find Northfeild Hollow chissel mortiser or the like..

Patrick Walsh
09-26-2015, 8:01 PM
I need a hollow chisel mortiser kinda asap to soonish and i dont want to buy the powermatic or general offerings.

I probably will but i would rather not.

Martin Wasner
09-26-2015, 9:38 PM
Northfield has them. I don't know about asap though. The don't carry much for complete machines in stock.

Charles Randal Smith
09-26-2015, 9:58 PM
When I chewed up the 1 inch hollow chisel on my General mortiser, I replaced it with Lee Valley's premium chisel. Kind of expensive, but it's a quality tool.

Charles

David Kumm
09-27-2015, 2:02 AM
Check the machinery exchange on Woodweb. Oliver, Yates, Greenlee, Wysong, Fay and Egan, Wallace, General, a bunch of other companies made high quality stuff. They will be heavy. Dave

Patrick Walsh
09-27-2015, 6:29 AM
Been looking on Woodweb weekly for months.

No luck yet. Im torn really as most of these machines will be 3 phase. I just don't want to add junk to my stable being im trying to build a forever shop or close to it.

If ingo single phase Felder FD250 i pay dearly for it. I cant help but think for general furniture making a stand up unit will be the most user friendly and straight forward.

i bet i end up with a new General :(

peter gagliardi
09-27-2015, 10:10 AM
You could also post a want to buy on Woodweb, post a want to buy on the OWWM Boyd forum as well. Between the two, I have rarely if ever not found what I wanted. You might need another couple weeks to a months worth of patience before that certain seller sees your ad. So far I would classify your looking activities as passive, you will do MUCH better when you switch to active. Just my experience. Also helps to know your approximate region for sellers.

Matt Day
09-27-2015, 10:49 AM
If you are looking at machinery this large, three-phase should not be an issue. VFD, RPC, etc. would fix you right up.

Joe Calhoon
09-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Try all of Craigs List and Ebay. There are a few vintage machines out there right now. No Northfields though. The new Eastern imported HCs are garbage. Ford Machinery in Canada has a bunch of the old General HC for sale. I found a nice Wadkin DM to compliment my Maka. Took a couple months of looking.

David Kumm
09-27-2015, 11:56 AM
For what it is worth I've used a Hollow chisel, FD 250 and Bacci oscillating and the Bacci is what gets used the most. The 3 phase on the F and E is nice because I've found that many run too fast. I run at 50 hz most of the time which seems to be the sweet spot.322268 Dave322269

Patrick Walsh
09-27-2015, 3:30 PM
I would agree i am in passive mode.

i just took delivery of a Felder AD941 and Felder RL125. The two machines cost just under $17K. I placed a order for another 2K of Nordfab Thursday.

An friend that is a electrician actaully just left. He will be back next weekend to finish the job. My guess is labor and materials all said and done for electrical will be about $700-1000 bucks. Not bad for what im getting no complaints on the electrical front.

On the other hand i have spent just about $20K in the last few weeks. Oh yeah and i need a tool or two to set my new machine up properly.

I really am trying to make the right purchases the first time. On the other hand i need a machine that will cut mortices easily within a fairly short window. I have a couple projects coming up that will requre i can cut accurate mortice in short order.

First world problems no complaints by me.

i never would had thought i would be as excited about some new electrical work as i am. I think i was as excited by my new dedicated 30amp outlets as i was my new machines. Maybe more?

You could also post a want to buy on Woodweb, post a want to buy on the OWWM Boyd forum as well. Between the two, I have rarely if ever not found what I wanted. You might need another couple weeks to a months worth of patience before that certain seller sees your ad. So far I would classify your looking activities as passive, you will do MUCH better when you switch to active. Just my experience. Also helps to know your approximate region for sellers.