PDA

View Full Version : Leg Vise Back on Secondary Bench

ken hatch
09-26-2015, 5:38 PM
The boss told me this AM she was retiring and I had better make a portable bench and tool chest so I have something to do when we go "camping". I've a small (7") English QR vise on the secondary bench that would be perfect for a portable bench. As I planed to move stuff around in the shop today I figured it was as good a time as any to pull the QR off and re-install the leg vise so I did.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/legVice20150926_zpsnds9yyd7.jpg

The parts for the bath cabinet are all finished waiting for clean up and glue. They can be seen on the end of the primary bench. I haven't a clue why I keep finding other things to do....I keep telling myself to just glue those suckers up bubba and go on down the road, it ain't happened yet.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/legViceIIOtherSide20150926_zpsfho9wycc.jpg

ken

ken hatch
09-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Well, that isn't going to last long. I was reminded very quickly why I removed the leg vise to begin with. For my way of working, English metal QR vises work better than leg vises, as always with all things wood....YMMV. I'm still going to need a vise for the portable bench, I guess the question is do I find one for the portable bench and put the QR vise back on the secondary bench or live with the leg vise while I find a metal QR vise for the bench and save the old vise for the portable bench. I expect it will be find a vise for the old bench and save the old Paramo for the portable bench.

I know leg vises are the fashion now, what the hey, I had to try one. Been there, done that and still have the dirty tee-shirt. I may have some BC vise hardware including a Crisscross that has never been out of the box looking for a good home. If you sweet talk there may be some BC wagon vise hardware looking as well. PM me if you know of a home for wayward vises.

ken

Jim Koepke
09-27-2015, 12:42 PM
PM me if you know of a home for wayward vises.

It won't be me. There are already a few wayward vises laying around my shop.

Leg vises and wagon vises have their benefits in the larger scheme of things. For me, the simple vises that were stock on my Sjoberg bench have proven to have amazing versatility. Even their tendency to rack can be advantageous at times.

jtk