PDA

View Full Version : European style cabinet hinges

Jerry Bittner
09-26-2015, 5:12 PM
I'm almost embarrssed to ask this but here oges. I'm replacing many cabinet doors and they have the european hinges.

The hinge on the door side has a cover that hides the screws, Okay here it comes...

I can not figure out how to get the cover off to access the screws.
Tried prying around the edges but that does not seem to work.

Decided I'd ask before damaging the covers.

George Bokros
09-26-2015, 6:09 PM
They probably snap off. Do they say Blum on them? If so they snap off. I am trying to find the covers for a project I just finished and one I just started.

Arek Kosinski
09-26-2015, 7:04 PM
provide some pictures please

Jerry Bittner
09-26-2015, 8:47 PM
This is a photoof the blum hinge showing the cover.
How to remove is the question.

John Bomment
09-26-2015, 9:31 PM

Jerry Bittner
09-27-2015, 10:00 AM
That simple huh? Thanks

Jamie Buxton
09-27-2015, 10:52 AM
I don't think that's a hinge cover. I think you have an Inserta hinge. The "cover" is actually a lever that fastens the hinge to the door; there's no screws involve. Look closely at the posted pic. You can see hinge pins on the cover. To undo the hinge, lever up on the long edge of the "cover" farthest from the door edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmNhVsDNQeo

John TenEyck
09-27-2015, 11:03 AM
I think Jamie has the winning answer. Pretty slick once you know how they work.

John

Justin Ludwig
09-27-2015, 5:46 PM
+1 on Jamie's answer. Inserta are the bee's knees.

Peter Quinn
09-27-2015, 7:38 PM
1+++ on inserta. See that little half round divit in the front edge of the cover in your pic? Put something in there like a piece of wire or a nail with the head ground off so you don't scratch them up and just gently pry them up, its a cam action that grips the hole, it will let go and should then wiggle right out. No screws, super easy, works great. This is going to make door replacement very simple once you realize how to un do the inserta mechanism.

Martin Wasner
09-27-2015, 7:49 PM
I use insertas, I just use a small flat blade screw driver and twist it to pop them open.

I wouldn't bother with inserta's if it weren't for shipping doors. Pounding them in on-site is either not an option, or you look like a tool tapping them in. Screwing them in is just too painful time wise.

They are a little cleaner looking, but almost double the cost. I think a case of 250 is over $700

Martin Wasner
09-27-2015, 7:51 PM
Don't go in on the from the field of the door, go in from the hinged side in the cup.

Did the gods of the forum revoke my editing rights? I can only delete.