PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Delta bandsaw with 1 1/2hp or 2hp motor

Dimitrios Fradelakis
09-26-2015, 5:01 PM
I have a Delta 14" closed stand band saw model 28-203 with a 52-963 base. It was supplied with a 3/4hp 1725 rpm motor. I have installed the riser kit.

I would like to replace the motor with a 1 1/2hp or 2hp motor. People whose judgement and experience I trust have suggested this for resawing.

I would be grateful for suggestions of the manufacturer/model of a 1 1/2 hp or 2hp electric motor that would fit in the enclosed stand. 220V or 110V are both OK. Delta supplies their current bandsaws with a 1hp motor, and they have been unable to help. The manufacturer of the original motor suggested a replacement motor that turned out not to fit (it was too long). So, rather than spin my wheels on this anymore, I am turning to the best source for information.

John McClanahan
09-26-2015, 5:15 PM
A 1 1/2 HP motor can run on 115 volt house current. For 2 HP you will need 220 volts.

John

Allan Speers
09-26-2015, 5:42 PM
Dimitrios, you have some leeway inside that cabinet. However, unless you really know what you're doing (which is not yet the case) you will have the best success by finding a new motor with the same frame number. The frame number will be on the motors tag, and will be something like "56" or "145T" etc.

This number ensures that all of the dimensions are the same: The mounting holes, the basic length & width, the diameter & length of the shaft, etc.

Make sure that you get the same rotation. - Some motors can be wired for either CW or CCW.

Make sure that you get the same motor rpm. A 3450 rpm would require a really large wheel pulley.

And obviously, make sure it's a 1-phase motor.

TEFC would be nice, but is absolutely not essential. Many bandsaws actually use open motors, because if a dust chute is there, then not much dust tends to get into the bottom cabinet.

And yes, 1.5 HP is a very good idea.

Also note: If you find the perfect motor used, except it has the wrong shaft diameter, you can always get a new motor pulley, and sell the old one one Ebay. Used pulleys abound on Ebay, for cheap. This might even be an upgrade, unless the original pulley was a quality cast iron one.

Tom M King
09-26-2015, 5:49 PM
I have a 1-1/2hp Baldor TEFC on an open framed version, and the motor sticks out too far on the back end to work in a closed stand. Other than that, I don't know of one that will fit inside.

Allan Speers
09-26-2015, 6:23 PM
I have a 1-1/2hp Baldor TEFC on an open framed version, and the motor sticks out too far on the back end to work in a closed stand. Other than that, I don't know of one that will fit inside.

The 28-203 appears to have the same cabinet as my old 28-475, (not for sure, though) and my saw had a 2 HP motor.
FWIW, mine used a frame 56 motor. Most likely the OP's does as well.

The OP needs to measure carefully, then check a NEMA frame number chart for a compatible size.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
09-26-2015, 6:36 PM
Alan, THANK YOU for the detailed information and write-up! And a big thank you as well to everyone else who responded.

Jeff Fondaw
09-27-2015, 12:53 AM
I did the same thing after my Delta BS motor died. Replaced with a TEFC 1.5 HP motor from Grizzly. Worked great. Note the frame type and order the same. Good luck

Bruce Wrenn
09-27-2015, 8:33 AM
It's a NEMA 56 frame motor. Because it's inside the enclosed stand, I would look for a TEFC motor, though my enclosed stand Delta has an open frame motor. If your saw doesn't have "factory" DC, search for a Wood Magazine "Top Tip" on DC for the 14" Band saw.