PDA

View Full Version : Split-top Bench Question

Steve Voigt
09-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Hi all,

I need to build a knockdown traveling bench and have decided on a split-top design. For those who have done this, is there a typical or ideal width for the gap between the two tops?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Cliff Polubinsky
09-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Make it wide enough to get your widest clamp head through. One of the advantages of a split top bench is the versatile clamping options it provides.

Cliff

ken hatch
09-26-2015, 1:03 PM
Steve,

I seldom use the split for clamping or as a stop. It is mostly used for tool storage of my current working tools such as squares, saws and chisels. I've two split top benches, one has a symmetrical split and the other is asymmetrical. The asymmetrical bench is more functional. On to your question: The symmetrical bench has a 66mm split and the asymmetrical bench's split is 56mm. The 56mm works fine with Bessey clamps if needed and leaves good room for tool storage.

BTW, I doubt I will ever build another solid top bench, the split brings too many advantages to the table. I would love to see what you come up with because I expect I will be going down that road, building a travel bench, soon.

ken

David Eisenhauer
09-26-2015, 1:20 PM
My split is 6" wide, with sliding trays, allowing my clamps to penetrate the top (infrequently used that way) and, more importantly, allowing me to place my planes/marking gauges/knife/ruler/square etc while I am working in the trays so as to prevent pushing items off the bench to the concrete floor and/or not keep to constantly move the tools from one end to other.

Steve Voigt
09-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Ken,

Thanks for dimensions etc.
I'm thinking that I need about 2 1/2" to make the bench wide enough to be stable, and I was wondering if that was an unusually large gap, but it doesn't sound like it is.
I'll definitely put up a couple pics when I'm done. It needs to be finished in about 3 weeks, so it won't be long!

David,

Wow, that is quite a large gap! Sounds though like you are using it more as a full size tool tray. Don't think I'll go that route, but it's a neat idea; I'm glad it's working out for you.

Paul Saffold
09-27-2015, 9:26 AM
Steve,
2.5" seems about right. I'm traveling and can't measure mine. I agree it should be big enough for your clamps. Also I made my spacer in 2 ft sections rather than 1 full length and made it so they could be flush or protrude about 1/2 " above the tops for planing stops as needed.
Post some pictures when done.
Paul

Steve Voigt
09-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Paul,
That's a good idea about the spacer. This has to fit in my Acura, so shorter pieces are better. Thanks!