PDA

View Full Version : wood gutters

Keith Mathewson
09-25-2015, 10:43 PM
This is not entirely a handtool project but at 160 lf I may be crazy but I'm not insane. The inside radius of the gutter is 2" and the largest cutter anyone would make is 1 1/4". I hogged out 1" on the shaper then a series of rabbets using a electric router but the remaining was done with a #18 round. It still took 2 days to do... Then came the face profile. I cut a wedge off with the tablesaw but the rest was done by hand.

Keith Mathewson
09-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Appears that I can only load 2 pics

Bruce Page
09-25-2015, 11:13 PM
Appears that I can only load 2 pics
Keith, you should be able to load up to 8 pics per post.

Jim Koepke
09-26-2015, 1:29 AM
Keith, you should be able to load up to 8 pics per post.

The software only allows two to be selected at a time. After they are uploaded you can select two more to upload. Repeat four times for a total of eight.

Nice looking gutter by the way. Hope to see when you finish the outside.

jtk

Bruce Page
09-26-2015, 2:00 AM
Thanks Jim, I should've pointed that out.

Phil Mueller
09-26-2015, 7:16 AM
Nicely done...love the creative solution. Curious to hear more on the project. Where is it going, what wood are you using, how will you finish it?
Thanks for posting!

Joe Tilson
09-26-2015, 9:55 AM
Very nicely done Keith.
Looking forward as well.

Frederick Skelly
09-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Nicely done...love the creative solution. Curious to hear more on the project. Where is it going, what wood are you using, how will you finish it?
Thanks for posting!

+1. I don't think I've seen wooden gutter used on a "modern" home, but yours look great and I'd also like to see/read/hear more.

Mel Fulks
09-26-2015, 11:54 AM
I just now noticed the profile drawn for the front. It's nice. I'm guessing it will go on a shed or play house, please show us the completeand installed project.

Keith Mathewson
09-26-2015, 3:03 PM
Some might be inclined to call it a shed and at the moment for me it is a bit of a playhouse, but it is a rental house I have that I'm remodeling. It's a small house that was built in 1941. The reason for the gutters is two fold. Nearly every house has the same gutters which I don't want to use and it has a hip roof which meets the siding. I wanted to give some projection and try to tie the new windows in with the facia to create an entablature. It isn't going to be quite what I would have hoped for design wise but I'm dealing with what I have to work with.

Keith Mathewson
09-26-2015, 3:06 PM
There will be a moulding between the upper facia and the lower facia. Here are some pics of the window crown and the new garage doors.

Reinis Kanders
09-26-2015, 3:16 PM
Nice work!

Mel Fulks
09-26-2015, 3:23 PM
I dare say it will stand out and become a local favorite. A treatment more whimsical than based on formal precedents is exactly what it needs .

Frederick Skelly
09-26-2015, 9:13 PM
Beautiful work! I hope your renters appreciate it and take good care of it.

Maurice Ungaro
09-26-2015, 9:49 PM
Keith, if you are not using cypress, I recommend using a very heavy primer, and then a polymerized paint for the water bearing surfaces of those nicely made gutters.

Steve Voigt
09-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Looks good. I really like the curved brace in the door--reminds me of a cruck in timber framing.

Brian Holcombe
09-27-2015, 1:45 PM
Really wonderful work Keith!

Keith Mathewson
09-27-2015, 3:33 PM
Thanks for the comments. The material is center cut old growth cedar which was hard to find and ridiculously expensive. From what I've been able to research the recommendation is to leave the interior gutter unfinished so that it can dry out between rains and to coat it every year with a non-drying oil.

I replaced all the windows with shop made double hung windows with copper screens. In a couple of months I'll install removable interior "storm" windows made of shrinkable plastic over wood frames. This will create a double pane window with a good R-factor.

The "renters" are my parents so I have little concern about damage. I will however never recover my investment in time but I'm mostly retired now and don't play golf.