PDA

View Full Version : Wet spot on wood moulding

Clarence Martin
09-25-2015, 3:46 PM
Found a wet spot on some wood moulding that meets up against the carpet One spot near the closet door in the front hall and the other spot on the other piece of moulding where the 2 45 degree sections meet. From what I can tell, The house plant must have leaked water onto the carpet when it was there , and the wood soaked up the water,

Any suggestions on drying it out or should I rip it out and replace it.

It's a 2 to 3 inch area that is wet.

daryl moses
09-25-2015, 4:17 PM
Doesn't sound like a big deal to me. If the wood is still sound I would just let it dry. A fan would speed up the drying if your in a rush.
Is the moulding stained or painted?
How long has it been wet?
Does the wood show any signs of rot?
Lots of variables that I don't know and knowing what they are would determine how I would go about "fixing" it.

Clarence Martin
09-25-2015, 4:21 PM
Doesn't sound like a big deal to me. If the wood is still sound I would just let it dry. A fan would speed up the drying if your in a rush.
Is the moulding stained or painted?
How long has it been wet?
Does the wood show any signs of rot?
Lots of variables that I don't know and knowing what they are would determine how I would go about "fixing" it.

Pull it back. Wet on both sides , but not the wall. I remember the carpet being wet and I vacummed that up and that was when I first noticed the wet spot on the wood.. I put an electric heater on it to speed the dry time. Wood seems rotted on that spot. where it is wet. It is stained . It is just 1/2 inch square moulding.

Jim Dwight
09-25-2015, 4:37 PM
Stained molding may show a spot. If it is rotted, I would eliminate the source of the water and then replace the molding. If it isn't rotted but shows a spot when it is dry, I would also replace it but would still want to know reoccurrence is unlikely. If it isn't rotted or stained, I would leave it alone.

Mike Schuch
09-25-2015, 5:23 PM
I would start by letting it dry out before you do anything else to make sure that it is the plant that is causing the wetness. If it doesn't dry out you need to investigate where the water is coming from. A little wet spot can lead to a big deal that gets bigger the longer it is ignores.

After you are sure you don't have a problem I would just leave the dried molding. If needed you can cover up the spots with a bit of stain and varnish. Having a couple 3" pieces of molding grafted in to an otherwise long run would look much worse that a couple covered up water spots. Or you could replace the whole stick of molding on that wall.

Jerry Olexa
09-25-2015, 8:29 PM
Let it dry and then appraise the damage..May not need anything..