PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't Stay Away

Ken Glass
09-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Hey All,
Last Year some of you might remember I sold all my shop equipment and turning tools including my 3520B and moved to the Lake of the Ozarks to start new adventures. All is well here as we live right on the lake at 13MM, but I have been missing Turning a lot. So a couple days ago I ferreted an area of the wine cellar for purposes of wood turning. I am putting in 60" of base cabinets and counter-top to accommodate a midi lathe and I am searching for the right one for me. I have been looking at at least 12" variable speed midi to do small bowls, HF's and Pens. I have never turned on anything but a Powermatic 3520B so I don't know what to expect from a small lathe. I am looking at the Penn State Turncrafter Commander 12" swing variable speed, but haven't decided as of yet. Your thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated.

Shawn Pachlhofer
09-25-2015, 11:42 AM
if you can manage the shipping, I'd look at this Jet lathe:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?235480-Jet-1221vs-lathe-harrisburg-PA-area

Ken Glass
09-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Shawn,
That's a great price, but with shipping it would bring past what I was thinking about for price.

David Walser
09-25-2015, 1:51 PM
Welcome back! Of the midi-lathes, I think the Rikon or Nova Comet II represent the most bang for the buck from name brand companies. I've not used a Turncrafter, but I was not impressed with the fit and finish of the ones I've seen.

Joe Meirhaeghe
09-25-2015, 8:44 PM
Take a look at the newer Rikons. I have a older model that has served me well for a number of years now. I had one small issue and the service was excellent. I also have a Powermatic 3520b but still use the Rikon for smaller stuff.

Thomas Canfield
09-25-2015, 9:17 PM
I have a Nova Comet II along with a Powermatic 3520B. I use the little Comet often, but think that the new Rikon might be a better choice today. I have not turned on one, but I did look at one at SWAT and it is definitely heavier, beefier, and the belt/pully design looks like it is at least 300% improvement for the lower speed range. The lowest speed range on the Comet has speed, but not enough belt contact for any power. My Comet also required some extra frame Iwork to get a solid mount. It would not be my choice only lathe, but it does serve my needs as extra and travel lathe.

Dok Yager
09-25-2015, 10:03 PM
Ken, I too had a Comet II and liked it a lot. However I have to agree that the new Rikon is a Very nice midi lathe! I got a chance to turn on one while on vacation last week and was impressed with build quality and heft as well as power.

Ken Glass
09-26-2015, 7:58 AM
Hey All,
It looks as if the Rikon is well worth looking at. Thanks for the taking the time to post your replies and for the welcome back....

Ken Glass
09-26-2015, 9:12 AM
Hey all,
After looking closer at the Rikon lathes I think that the Rikon 70-220VSR may meet most of all my needs, but I would like to hear some feedback from those of you turning that particular one.......

Michael Mills
09-26-2015, 12:53 PM
I think the Rikon will be a very good lathe.
That said, it states 6 amp and states 1 HP?
I purchased the Nova Comet for my daughter and it has been fine.
The Nova is 5.5 amp and listed at 3/4 HP which should be about right.
It is lighter than the Rikon; I mounted it to tube steel runners going toward the rear. Runners are about 16" long. Runners are bolted to the top and the lathe bolted to the runners as close to the front as possible.
ToolsPlus has it for $515 with a free G3 chuck. If you were going to have to buy a chuck that would make it <$400.
Again, I think the Rikon may well be better but how much better for the $$$ difference I don't know.

http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-46300c.html

alan miller
09-26-2015, 6:28 PM
I have a Rikon 70-100 and while it is not a vs changing speeds is fast and easy,like 15-30 seconds easy.I have been using mine for four plus years and
have had no issues.I did break a belt but that was early on and more my error but the customer support was top notch.I would buy another in a heart
beat and have bought four other Rikon machines.