PDA

View Full Version : Lighter grain on Ash

Mike Buelow
09-24-2015, 9:37 PM
I've read lots of threads on here about making grain stand out (darker), but can't seem to figure out how to make the grain on my ash project lighter than the rest of the wood. I've attached a photo here, I hope it isn't taboo to reference commercially available products.

I've experimented with a "sunbleached" color oil stain all over, wiping away after a few minutes. Then tried to wipe some on-hand minwax wood conditioner over the top (which I've heard described as a kind of shellac) to help seal the grains with the light color underneath. But it seems the darker stain over the top then darkens up the light grains stain anyway. I'm considering wiping a white/light gray paint over the whole thing, and maybe sanding. But maybe there's a more elegant way...

Any suggestions, or is there a name for a finishing technique in the photo?

Thanks in advance

william watts
09-25-2015, 12:33 AM
I believe thats a "limed" finish. I have never done it, but there is a product called liming wax. Here's a link http://www.briwax.com/limingpp.htm

John TenEyck
09-25-2015, 11:13 AM
You might want to go about this the other way around. Dye the piece first to get your dark color, then apply a couple of coats of shellac sealer. Now apply a white pigmented stain and wipe it off really well. The white pigment will only go in the pores.

John