PDA

View Full Version : Apron, Lee Valley or Duluth

Dave Lehnert
09-24-2015, 9:11 PM
Looked through the SMC search but a lot of links are now out dated.

I narrowed my choice down to two. Duluth and Lee Valley.
I was all set to order the Duluth but a little concerned with the side pockets are up a little high to get a tape measure out etc.....

The Duluth
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/bib-apron-best-damn-shop-apron-96543.aspx?kw=apron&processor=content

The Lee Valley (Large)
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=57647&cat=1,43413,45989

Tim Boger
09-24-2015, 9:24 PM
I like the look of the Deluth offering .... I also could use a new apron.

William Dodge
09-24-2015, 9:27 PM
I have the Duluth one and use it constantly, its very comfy. However, the open tops on the generous pockets can collect a lot of saw dust and I wish the chest pocket swung like on a machinists apron. The LV apron looks to have the pockets covered.

Michael Weber
09-24-2015, 9:56 PM
Sigh
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mike72903/Mobile%20Uploads/1a1030e6632941d2c7b6675f825c8759.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mike72903/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1a1030e6632941d2c7b6675f825c8759.jpg.html)

Larry Anderson
09-24-2015, 10:00 PM
I have this one and like it:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/shop-apron-improved-fire-hose-bib-apron-85021.aspx?kw=apron&processor=content

Michael Moscicki
09-24-2015, 10:09 PM
I have a Veritas canvas apron. I highly recommend it. It is not the one you linked to, however it has more pockets. That being said I would chose the Lee Valley over the Duluth since I assume the quality is as stellar as my Veritas canvas apron. Plus the Lee Valley and Veritas aprons are made in Canada, by our wonderful neighbors to the north.

Veritas® Canvas Apron
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=70774&cat=1,43413,45989&ap=1

One warning: If you order from Lee Valley, you may find yourself ordering more than just the apron.

Frederick Skelly
09-24-2015, 10:21 PM
I have this one and like it:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/shop-apron-improved-fire-hose-bib-apron-85021.aspx?kw=apron&processor=content

I have this one, but I don't wear it because I dislike the way the straps work. Especially the way they connect the neck strap to the waist strap. I find it awkward as heck.

Edit: the quality of the sewing and the fabric are first rate, like everything I've ever purchased from Duluth. I just dislike the strap arrangement.

Dave Zellers
09-24-2015, 10:54 PM
I have a Veritas canvas apron. I highly recommend it. It is not the one you linked to, however it has more pockets. That being said I would chose the Lee Valley over the Duluth since I assume the quality is as stellar as my Veritas canvas apron. Plus the Lee Valley and Veritas aprons are made in Canada, by our wonderful neighbors to the north.

Veritas® Canvas Apron

For whatever it's worth, since it is not one of the two you narrowed down to, +1.

I have this and love it.

Dave Lehnert
09-24-2015, 11:11 PM

Veritas® Canvas Apron

One warning: If order from Lee Valley, you may find yourself ordering more than just the apron.

Did not see this one. Will check it out.

Robert Payne
09-25-2015, 7:11 AM
I have had canvas aprons and have not found one that is durable enough to hold up (I've had seam binding fail), so I got one of these a few years ago and it is very durable, plus it has full flaps over the lower very spacious pockets that keep the sawdust out. A bit more expensive, but excellent quality. Here is the link to the Long Leather Apron from Klingspor: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/pi23330/#.VgUqHPlVhBc

Dave Richards
09-25-2015, 7:59 AM
I've got one from WoodenBoat (http://www.woodenboatstore.com/product/Builders_Apron) that I like. Well made and just the right length. Useful pockets, too.

http://cdn.woodenboatstore.com/images/uploads/builders-apron-550-003-200.jpg

Brian Holcombe
09-25-2015, 8:19 AM
http://shop.boletannery.com/products/tanner-s-apron-medium

:D

George Bokros
09-25-2015, 9:24 AM
I have the Duluth and like it, would buy again. Seems to be holding up well.

russell lusthaus
09-25-2015, 11:37 AM
I vote for the woodenboat one also. I have it and have no complaints (so long as I am not at the lathe).

Dave Richards
09-25-2015, 12:11 PM
(so long as I am not at the lathe).

The pockets do fill with chips at the lathe, don't they?

Michael Stein
09-25-2015, 1:43 PM
I have no experience with either of the aprons, but the Duluth Firehose pants are awesome. I don't wear anything but those, and Mountain Khaki originals anymore.

Unless going to work, then I am forced to wear dress pants. :mad:

Mike Chalmers
09-25-2015, 3:04 PM
Another vote for the Veritas Canvas apron. I have had one for a couple of years now. lots of pockets, including some enclosed ones.

Pat Barry
09-25-2015, 5:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mike72903/Mobile%20Uploads/1a1030e6632941d2c7b6675f825c8759.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mike72903/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1a1030e6632941d2c7b6675f825c8759.jpg.html)
+1. LOL, 'nough said

Dave Lehnert
09-25-2015, 6:04 PM
I have the Duluth and like it, would buy again. Seems to be holding up well.

How do you like the pockets?
In the photo they look awkward ( up too high) to get things like a tape measure out.

Dave Lehnert
09-25-2015, 6:06 PM
Thanks for all the info.
FYI- I have a bucket boss bib apron now. Looking for something a little longer.

Jim Becker
09-25-2015, 8:58 PM
I buy a lot of clothing from Duluth Trading...like Lee Valley, they are not always the least expensive, but the products are top notch and their customer service is outstanding. Either product you list will likely be very pleasing...choose the one you think is going to best suit your needs and fit your body comfortably.

David Eisenhauer
09-25-2015, 9:31 PM
I thought I liked the one from Texas Heritage Woodworks until I saw the price. Nice looking, but ouch.

Red OLeary
09-26-2015, 9:23 PM
I made my own and I'm quite happy with it. A speed square will mostly fit in one of the larger pockets which makes me wish that pocket was a bit larger, still need to trim the length on the "strings" too. They're not that hard to make and you can make it as tough as you like.

Brian Jarnell
09-27-2015, 1:46 AM
I like the side entry of the Lee Valley , pockets don't fill up with saw dust.

A friend handy with the sewing machine made it for me in return for a clothes line table.That's a table to put basket on to save bending.

Evan Patton
09-27-2015, 2:06 AM

:DHoly cow it looks like something a serial killer in a movie would wear. And only 400
pounds!

Brian Jarnell
09-27-2015, 3:47 AM
Holy cow it looks like something a serial killer in a movie would wear. And only 400
pounds!
They only have quality killers in Sweden.

Allan Speers
09-27-2015, 4:21 AM
Holy cow it looks like something a serial killer in a movie would wear. And only 400
pounds!

Yeah but for 400 lbs you also get a hockey mask and a chainsaw.

Patrick Walsh
09-27-2015, 6:32 AM
Nothing bellow a size 32 in mens pants. Im at least a 30" waist is not 28"...

I was bummed after reading this thread then looking at their awesome pants to figure this out.

I buy a lot of clothing from Duluth Trading...like Lee Valley, they are not always the least expensive, but the products are top notch and their customer service is outstanding. Either product you list will likely be very pleasing...choose the one you think is going to best suit your needs and fit your body comfortably.

Evan Patton
09-27-2015, 8:50 AM
Yeah but for 400 lbs you also get a hockey mask and a chainsaw.
Good one LOL! :D

bob blakeborough
09-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Another vote for the Veritas Canvas apron. I have had one for a couple of years now. lots of pockets, including some enclosed ones.
I too use and love the Veritas black canvas apron. 2 years now and no quality issues...

Brian Holcombe
09-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Hah, well played gents.

BTW;
€ = EUR
£ = GBP

David C. Roseman
09-27-2015, 1:36 PM

I was bummed after reading this thread then looking at their awesome pants to figure this out.

Patrick, time will likely take care of that waste size problem for you. ;)

David C. Roseman
09-27-2015, 1:50 PM

:D

Good one, Brian. But if leather is what you want, these work just fine for $9.99:

(http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=apron)http://www.harborfreight.com/split-leather-welding-apron-45193.html

Took a pyrography course from Molly Winton a few months ago, and this is what she recommended. They don't ignite even when the wearer starts to flame. :)

Brian Holcombe
09-27-2015, 1:57 PM
Hah, indeed. There must be a specialized interest in leather aprons...beyond that of serial killers....enough that brands like Hermes sell the aprons that their leather workers wear. Not being a turner or metal smith, it's a bit lost on me.

Jim Becker
09-27-2015, 7:53 PM

Nothing a little extra desert will not fix in short order... :D

And I love their clothing...I even use their flex firehose "jeans" in colors as business casual work wear.

Dave Kennedy
09-27-2015, 11:16 PM
Is there a pattern or measurements available? My wife's pretty handy with a sewing machine, but some measurements would speed the process.

Dave

Brian Jarnell
09-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Is there a pattern or measurements available? My wife's pretty handy with a sewing machine, but some measurements would speed the process.

Dave

I had a lee valley picture, then she took my measurements, including a waist tyeing at front.

John T Barker
09-28-2015, 1:53 AM
I really like what I see in Duluth except for that one word I see on too many of their items: "Imported." At least the Lee Valley apron is North American made.

John T Barker
09-28-2015, 1:55 AM
I made my own and I'm quite happy with it. A speed square will mostly fit in one of the larger pockets which makes me wish that pocket was a bit larger, still need to trim the length on the "strings" too. They're not that hard to make and you can make it as tough as you like.

Well done.

Shawn Pixley
09-28-2015, 3:37 AM
I'm with you. I need 29 x 36. The closest thing I can find is Blaklader.

Curt Harms
09-28-2015, 7:40 AM
Hah, indeed. There must be a specialized interest in leather aprons...beyond that of serial killers....enough that brands like Hermes sell the aprons that their leather workers wear. Not being a turner or metal smith, it's a bit lost on me.

Welders & metal workers?

russell lusthaus
09-28-2015, 11:24 AM
The pockets do fill with chips at the lathe, don't they?

yes they do. At least the way I turn (not well).

Red OLeary
09-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Well done.
Thank you sir.

Rod Sheridan
09-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Why the Lee Valley apron of course, it's made in Canada.....................regards, Rod.

Brian Jarnell
09-28-2015, 5:38 PM
I really like what I see in Duluth except for that one word I see on too many of their items: "Imported." .

Using that principal there would be no Toyota's or BMW's in USA.

John T Barker
09-28-2015, 6:36 PM
Using that principal there would be no Toyota's or BMW's in USA.

It is a PRICIPLE that many hold to as much as possible in this country. I'm not sure what your point is, if there is one, so I'l explain why I posted what I did. Duluth, named for a city in this country and founded in this country, sells about 2% American made product in their catalog. Their catalog apears to have great stuff if you get by the fact that so much is foreign made. I would prefer to see catalogs selling wares made in the US, or at least North America. One can not even tell where Duluth IMPORTS from. It was my thought that perhaps the OP might feel similarly.

Brian Jarnell
09-28-2015, 8:01 PM
It is a PRICIPLE that many hold to as much as possible in this country. I'm not sure what your point is, if there is one, so I'l explain why I posted what I did. Duluth, named for a city in this country and founded in this country, sells about 2% American made product in their catalog. Their catalog apears to have great stuff if you get by the fact that so much is foreign made. I would prefer to see catalogs selling wares made in the US, or at least North America. One can not even tell where Duluth IMPORTS from. It was my thought that perhaps the OP might feel similarly.

Yes sorry about spelling,I must check b4 I send.

My point is, that the world revolves round trade and as I say the world and USA would be poorer for it if this were not the case.

It is your big companies that have left your shores, so as to make bigger profits and pay 50 cents an hour to the chinese etc.

richard poitras
09-28-2015, 9:10 PM
I like the one I got from Rockler. It is made out of Blue jean materal and very comfortable to wear.

Dave Cav
09-28-2015, 11:01 PM
To get back to the Lee Valley aprons...

I'm on my third one. I have had two of the tan ones, and am currently wearing a black one at school. Observations:
I like the tan model better because it doesn't show the dirt and sawdust as much. I still wear the last tan one at home. The side pockets on both of them are very useful and don't fill up too much with sawdust. I don't care for the covered front pockets on the black one, as I never got in the habit of using them, and it's a little difficult to dig under the top flap. My primary dislike for the black one, though, is the color. The black seems to just stay incredibly dirty with sawdust and other stuff, while it doesn't seem to show up nearly as bad on tan models. Since I'm a school shop teacher I wear the aprons quite a bit and I'm pretty hard on them. They accumulate a lot of glue and other stuff wiped on them, and I only wash them about once a year. One thing I do like about the black one is the upper pocket is divided into four sections for pencils and the like, but I use my sewing machine to subdivide each one to give me a total of eight pockets, because a shop teacher never seems to have enough pencils on him. I also do the same thing to the upper pocket on the tan ones. When I retire and work at home full time I'll probably continue to use the black one, but when I buy a replacement it'll be another tan model.

Dave Lehnert
09-28-2015, 11:08 PM
To get back to the Lee Valley aprons...

I'm on my third one. I have had two of the tan ones, and am currently wearing a black one at school. Observations:
I like the tan model better because it doesn't show the dirt and sawdust as much. I still wear the last tan one at home. The side pockets on both of them are very useful and don't fill up too much with sawdust. I don't care for the covered front pockets on the black one, as I never got in the habit of using them, and it's a little difficult to dig under the top flap. My primary dislike for the black one, though, is the color. The black seems to just stay incredibly dirty with sawdust and other stuff, while it doesn't seem to show up nearly as bad on tan models. Since I'm a school shop teacher I wear the aprons quite a bit and I'm pretty hard on them. They accumulate a lot of glue and other stuff wiped on them, and I only wash them about once a year. One thing I do like about the black one is the upper pocket is divided into four sections for pencils and the like, but I use my sewing machine to subdivide each one to give me a total of eight pockets, because a shop teacher never seems to have enough pencils on him. I also do the same thing to the upper pocket on the tan ones. When I retire and work at home full time I'll probably continue to use the black one, but when I buy a replacement it'll be another tan model.

Great info. THANKS!!!!!

John T Barker
09-29-2015, 8:19 AM
Yes sorry about spelling,I must check b4 I send.

My point is, that the world revolves round trade and as I say the world and USA would be poorer for it if this were not the case.

It is your big companies that have left your shores, so as to make bigger profits and pay 50 cents an hour to the chinese etc.

You spelled the word correctly, you simply chose the wrong word. I appreciate what trade does for the world and U.S. though I, from the vantage point of sitting in the U.S., think my country would be better off manufacturing more. Along similar lines I like the notion of buying what is made in this country when possible, as many do. This discussion is about Canadian made goods, which is close enough since we consider Canada to be the 51st state.

Shortly after noticing how much of Duluth product is imported I walked in to an L.L. Bean retail store and was surprised to find the same. Perhaps I have been living in a dream world but I truly believed that Bean would stick with American made product. The notion of companies that establish themselves in the market and then switch their manufacturing base leaves me disgusted. Woodcraft made moves like this when I was employed with them years ago; they would work up a market for a tool and then bring in an Asian knock off, most likely at an increased profit margin. Sell the better tool...

Greg Hines, MD
09-29-2015, 11:09 AM
I have the Duluth apron, and I like it. The straps distribute the weight across the shoulders, and the pockets are large and plentiful. The one I have has mesh as the bottom of the outer pockets, so that sawdust does not get caught in it, but smaller tools can be a problem. If I am putting screws in them, I keep them in a box or bag. It also has inner pockets that have flap closures for tools and other small items like dovetail markers.

Doc

Brian Jarnell
09-29-2015, 5:37 PM
You spelled the word correctly, you simply chose the wrong word. I appreciate what trade does for the world and U.S. though I, from the vantage point of sitting in the U.S., think my country would be better off manufacturing more. Along similar lines I like the notion of buying what is made in this country when possible, as many do. This discussion is about Canadian made goods, which is close enough since we consider Canada to be the 51st state.

Shortly after noticing how much of Duluth product is imported I walked in to an L.L. Bean retail store and was surprised to find the same. Perhaps I have been living in a dream world but I truly believed that Bean would stick with American made product. The notion of companies that establish themselves in the market and then switch their manufacturing base leaves me disgusted. Woodcraft made moves like this when I was employed with them years ago; they would work up a market for a tool and then bring in an Asian knock off, most likely at an increased profit margin. Sell the better tool...
So as not to upset Dave too much,Cabelas, LL Bean etc, as the saying goes, are there to make a profit, not to make friends.
1% own more than the bottom 50%, that is the world we live in.

John T Barker
10-03-2015, 2:36 AM
So as not to upset Dave too much,Cabelas, LL Bean etc, as the saying goes, are there to make a profit, not to make friends.

Of course but if they appeal to the customer, make as much of the relationship satisfy the buyer, present a favorable image in many ways, they will sell more. More profit and less advertising as damage control, see Frank and Kathy Lee Gifford, sweatshop labor.

Who is Dave?